Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Ron knows bullets

Did you see my post about using a reamer?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Did you see my post about using a reamer?
    Yeah, I don't know about others, but I'm not sure I want to do that without learning a LOT more about the tool and process.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

The way I determine max bullet seating depth is to take a fired case, use a dremel and cut 2 slots in the neck, then seat a bullet long with your fingers and color it with a dry erase marker. Then all you have to do is chamber it and slowly take it out. Usually you can just measure the OAL and you are done but sometimes the bullet gets stuck in the rifling. That is what the dry erase marker is for. Carefully knock out the bullet and seat it using calipers till the dry erase line matches up. That is your distance to the lands.

For pistols I would seat the bullet at least 0.025 shorter than max (assuming the longer bullet will function in your magazine).

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I suppose what I can do is dismount the barrel and use it for a plop test on dummies loaded to various "shorter" lengths. It would really be nice to know if and how pressure increases as the seating depth is increased.
    You are not realistically increasing pressure unless you jam the bullet into the lands. There are plenty of Hornady bullets made loaded to 1.050 and the like. It's not a seating depth issue just an overall length measurement based on shape. Unless you are using fluffy powder and are making your way to a compressed load.

I can tell you using my older 125 and Titegroup powder I did see an increase in velocity equal to one tenth of a grain of powder for every 10 thousands we shortened the bullet from 1.070 to 1.050. So yes a slight possible pressure increase but manageable and noted easily with a chronograph.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about others, but I'm not sure I want to do that without learning a LOT more about the tool and process.
    Here*s a video that shows the same process as a throating reamer, but this is a chamber finish reamer. You want to cut the throat, not the whole chamber.

If you don*t want to try it there is probably a gunsmith in your area who can do it in 30 minutes.

Here is the 9mm throating reamer I use which is unfortunately out of stock at the moment: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...?sku=184053380
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

The key to bullet feeding is to find the right COL.
    Never had any issue with getting any bullet to feed in any gun, including two CZ-75s. I even shoot L-SWC bullets in my P-08s and P-38s.
    Load a couple of inert dummy rounds long and shorten COL until they feed 100%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12