Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Scope setup for Scar 20S?

It's that time again, need a scope recommendation for my new Scar 20S. I've heard they're tough on scopes so I want to get something quality. I'm sort of torn between the following:

1.) Trijicon 3.5 x 35 - I found some available right now on eBay all stores appear to be sold out. I understand I'm going to sacrifice long range but should still be good into the 500-600 yard range

2.) Vortex Golden Eagle - Ideal for longer range shooting but will sacrifice up close

3.) FN groups are also suggesting Eotech/Atacr & Schmidt and Bender

Thoughts? Probably leaning towards a midrange option, don't need super long range with it, chambered in .308/7.62

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Scope setup for Scar 20S?

You’ve got a scar. It needs to have the equivalent optic. I’d be buying a razor

I shoot G3 clones a lot, and they are also hard on optics, due to the delayed roller blowback design and the mass of the BCG.

For relatively affordable optics, I have had a lot of success with SWFA scopes. I specifically have used the 1-4 scope extensively on my G3 clones. I also have a 1-6 in use currently and its doing well.

I have used their 10x42 scope as well on my M14 clone and it has held zero well also.

For a basic red dot I would recommend the Aimpoint Pro, but the EoTech 512 should be fine, also.

For the 20S which is intended more for use as a DMR, I would advise AT LEAST a LPVO, or maybe an optic with higher magnification, and an RMR on an offset mount.

What are your guys thoughts on the Vortex Razor HD Gen ll in a 3x18 setup? I have their 4.5 -27x on my Lapua but don't think I need that much zoom for the Scar. I may just look for a set of rings to also run a small RMR off it for close up targets.

IMO a 7.62x51 semi-auto DMR is a 600-yard rifle.

I would use the magnification you feel is adequate to get you to that distance.

IMO Vortex has a good warranty reputation because it unfortunately gets used a lot.

Nightforce has some budget priced scopes that maybe worth consideration.

Leupold is an obvious option but I would look at Burris and Steiner also, which are both owned by Beretta.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Take your higher power scope out to a known distance range, and move through the magnifications while observing a 600-yard target. Use that to decide what magnification range you need.
    Last edited by chauncey; January 19th, 2021 at 10:54 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on the Vortex Razor HD Gen ll in a 3x18 setup? I have their 4.5 -27x on my Lapua but don't think I need that much zoom for the Scar. I may just look for a set of rings to also run a small RMR off it for close up targets.
    That’s what I was going to recommend

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    IMO a 7.62x51 semi-auto DMR is a 600-yard rifle.

I would use the magnification you feel is adequate to get you to that distance.

IMO Vortex has a good warranty reputation because it unfortunately gets used a lot.

Nightforce has some budget priced scopes that maybe worth consideration.

Leupold is an obvious option but I would look at Burris and Steiner also, which are both owned by Beretta.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Take your higher power scope out to a known distance range, and move through the magnifications while observing a 600-yard target. Use that to decide what magnification range you need.

850 meter rifle with M118LR or equivalent** That is with a 16" barrel Mk17.

Old school knowledge was 1x per 100 meters, but I think it's more like, 1x per 50m or less now, with the advent of higher magnification optics.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    That*s what I was going to recommend
    Yeah, I may just go with that one since it's got the same reticle setup as my other Vortex setup. I guess the only other thing I'll have to look for is a good set of Scar rated rings.