Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ​​​​​​​Feds Warn HAM Operators "Not To Commit Criminals Acts" Ahead Of Inaugurati

Another weekend has arrived and I'd like to reserve at least part of it to QSO with my fellow PAFOA members. HF, 6 Meters, 2 Meters; where/when could we all meet for even a brief roundtable? Any part of the spectrum from 160 Meters to 2 Meters, SSB/FM/AM/CW would all work for me.

From my hilltop QTH in Moon Township (yes, elevation and an absence of covenant antenna restrictions were considerations when I bought my home), I can access many of the 2 Meter repeaters in SW PA and I know many of us enter into the hobby via 2 Meter FM (I did, back in the day). So, please, let's meet on the air long enough to at least introduce ourselves to one another. Perhaps, a regularly scheduled net may develop?

The Bosun

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: ​​​​​​​Feds Warn HAM Operators "Not To Commit Criminals Acts" Ahead Of Inaugurati

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    To me they're fudds or narcs when they tattle on someone who just isn't licensed to do what they are doing, not one who is disrupting the whole system.
    Well, here's the problem, what one untrained person who don't know what the rules are by getting the license, don't know what they are interfering with (out of ignorance). A perfect example were hunters who were scouting property using the Baofengs on FRS interfering in a search and rescue operation for a missing autistic child, without knowing the search team was on the same frequency. Hunters had a MUCH further transmit than the team's legal FRS, while a ground crew was calling in clues and requesting the medical team sent to their location, they were stepped on by "Hey John you need to get over here, got a great rub and set of tracks" Things could have turned out much worse.

another example, we were in Skywarn mode, potential tornado activity, and someone starts broadcasting parking instructions on the HAM band (pretty obvious an event going on, and as soon as the transmitter was asked to Identify they vanished.

So you see not all disruptions are deliberate, nor do all call for an FCC report.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    Another weekend has arrived and I'd like to reserve at least part of it to QSO with my fellow PAFOA members. HF, 6 Meters, 2 Meters; where/when could we all meet for even a brief roundtable? Any part of the spectrum from 160 Meters to 2 Meters, SSB/FM/AM/CW would all work for me.

From my hilltop QTH in Moon Township (yes, elevation and an absence of covenant antenna restrictions were considerations when I bought my home), I can access many of the 2 Meter repeaters in SW PA and I know many of us enter into the hobby via 2 Meter FM (I did, back in the day). So, please, let's meet on the air long enough to at least introduce ourselves to one another. Perhaps, a regularly scheduled net may develop?

Here is an option that many have access to, https://www.wanrepeater.net/wan-repeater-listing/ . I'm new and don't have equipment to get on anything but 2m or 70cm but would be interested

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    Here is an option that many have access to, https://www.wanrepeater.net/wan-repeater-listing/ . I'm new and don't have equipment to get on anything but 2m or 70cm but would be interested
    unfortunately the UPENN WAN has been mostly shutdown due to abuse, however, being in Etown, if you have a C4M compatible, we can hook you up with several local state wide repeaters, DMR is also an option (I know where you can get a DMR handheld for a donation, it belonged to KC3AWE, rest well my friend). Also several forum members hang out on 147.315, the Lebanon 315 repeater, and you can it the Skywarn 145.110 repeater.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    unfortunately the UPENN WAN has been mostly shutdown due to abuse, however, being in Etown, if you have a C4M compatible, we can hook you up with several local state wide repeaters, DMR is also an option (I know where you can get a DMR handheld for a donation, it belonged to KC3AWE, rest well my friend). Also several forum members hang out on 147.315, the Lebanon 315 repeater, and you can it the Skywarn 145.110 repeater.
    I have a uv380 dmr, just have to figure out the code plug. Only have my ticket for a month now but I'm figuring it...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    I have a uv380 dmr, just have to figure out the code plug. Only have my ticket for a month now but I'm figuring it...
    DMR codex is a PAIN, you have to figure transmit, time slot, talk group, etc. I do have a codec built for Tyt and Radioddity, radios for the Lebanon/ Lancaster area, was a challenge learning that programming over a conventional analog or Wires-X type digital

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    Im amazed that there are still PDs out there who aren't using 800mhz trunked systems yet...
    To Wit: "Broken Sky".

Get up here with the mountains and valleys and 800 MHz doesn't work. In some small areas they installed 15(!) repeaters and STILL had huge holes in coverage. In Lackawanna County, it takes three zones to cover the valley, excluding Scranton; Scranton is the only municipality up here on UHF, and they need a handful of repeaters...

I was blown away doing the coverage surveys for my 900 MHz machine.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lancaster County)

But 800mhz works great in Kansas.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Centre County)

worked with a guy who pronounced it "oPENski"...lol
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    To Wit: "Broken Sky".

Get up here with the mountains and valleys and 800 MHz doesn't work. In some small areas they installed 15(!) repeaters and STILL had huge holes in coverage. In Lackawanna County, it takes three zones to cover the valley, excluding Scranton; Scranton is the only municipality up here on UHF, and they need a handful of repeaters...

I was blown away doing the coverage surveys for my 900 MHz machine.
    you mean closed sky? yea it was working well down here when they deployed it late fall through early spring, but as soon as it greened up, couldn't talk "across the street" the guys are still talking about it with much disdain.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast