Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anybody have a light on their AR?

Like AR15s themselves, lighting options are endless, and in the end, it will come down to what YOU want - not what someone else says is the "best".

I'm really please with the Crimson Trace units I got for my pistols though - I love the versatility they offer at a reasonable price.
    I may get the longer 900 lumen version for another carbine (and for the one shown above if I destroy that cheap energizer light with x39 recoil!)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Like AR15s themselves, lighting options are endless, and in the end, it will come down to what YOU want - not what someone else says is the "best".

I'm really please with the Crimson Trace units I got for my pistols though - I love the versatility they offer at a reasonable price.
    I may get the longer 900 lumen version for another carbine (and for the one shown above if I destroy that cheap energizer light with x39 recoil!)
    Thanks for the very involved responses. I just finished the 13 pages linked to.

I have a crimson trace light on my Beretta nightstand gun. I like it a lot. But i haven't had the chance to shoot it. The gun is new and the last upgrade came today.

-Zach

(Beaver County)

I prefer not to have a light on my weapon. No reason to give the bad guy something to aim at.

If I'm in my own house I don't need a light to get around everything in the dark. It's my house. I know where my shit is at. I'd rather throw a light on the floor or hallway.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Okay. What the hell is up with all of the remote switches using zip ties or tape to hold them in place?

Does anybody make a system that actually mounts more securely? Preferably m-lok, but again, i can make pic work.

Just looked at olight and liked what i saw minus the mounting.

100-150$ is kind of the limit here since I'm likely going to get 2.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I prefer not to have a light on my weapon. No reason to give the bad guy something to aim at.

If I'm in my own house I don't need a light to get around everything in the dark. It's my house. I know where my shit is at. I'd rather throw a light on the floor or hallway.
    Yeah. I've heard that argument. But I'd prefer positive target identification before shooting. And bad guys isn't always what you are looking at. Animals can sometimes be aggressive (think rabid or capable of mauling you to death).

Pretty sure if i shot an AR in my house, I'd deafen myself and everybody else inside.

-Zach

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Yeah. I've heard that argument. But I'd prefer positive target identification before shooting. And bad guys isn't always what you are looking at. Animals can sometimes be aggressive (think rabid or capable of mauling you to death).

Pretty sure if i shot an AR in my house, I'd deafen myself and everybody else inside.

-Zach
    Trust me I understand. But I'm not using an AR in my house and seriously doubt I'll ever have one on me where 4 legged animals will be a problem. My most likely situation will be handgun with a light in my weak hand regardless if the rabid animals are 2 legged or 4.

Unless we have an all out collapse of society. Then I could see a light on my AR.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post

I see this response a lot in "light" threads.

There's a button thingie that lets you turn the light on or off at the moment of your choosing.
    HAVING a light on your gun does not mean that it must be on all the time - or at all.

(Allegheny County)

Okay. What the hell is up with all of the remote switches using zip ties or tape to hold them in place?

Does anybody make a system that actually mounts more securely? Preferably m-lok, but again, i can make pic work.

Just looked at olight and liked what i saw minus the mounting.

100-150$ is kind of the limit here since I'm likely going to get 2.

-Zach
    Oh yeah, you can get anything you can think of - for a price.

I can't recall which one I saw that was SOMEWHAT not ass-rapey in price that has a M-Lok mounted pressure switch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Oh yeah, you can get anything you can think of - for a price.

I can't recall which one I saw that was SOMEWHAT not ass-rapey in price that has a M-Lok mounted pressure switch.
    I just feel like if I'm going to use zip ties and tape, i could just zip tie a flashlight to my gun and call it a day. I could understand zip ties for keeping the wire runs neat and snag free. But then I'm left with double stick tape. Now is probably a good time to discuss how much i have sticky things. And also how prone they are to losing their stick when near heat, water, oil, or solvents (3 of which are regularly around guns).

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

I just feel like if I'm going to use zip ties and tape, i could just zip tie a flashlight to my gun and call it a day. I could understand zip ties for keeping the wire runs neat and snag free. But then I'm left with double stick tape. Now is probably a good time to discuss how much i have sticky things. And also how prone they are to losing their stick when near heat, water, oil, or solvents (3 of which are regularly around guns).

-Zach
    My personal preference is not to use remote pressure switches.
    I don't like added garbage that gets in the way, or can be an added failure point/something to get snagged on.
    There are times when they are necessary though - perhaps it provides the best reasonable placement.

I didn't use the ones that came with my Crimson Trace units. You get what you pay for, and like you, I don't want to rely on tape or zip ties - and I don't have the cash for high end stuff that I would prefer.

Speaking of the CT lights - this is the 2 battery 900 lumen version and I think this is the best price ($78.72) anywhere at the moment.
    (not saying to buy it - just tossing it out since I have it bookmarked)
    https://littlecreektrading.com/ctc-t...mnt-900-lumen/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast