Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Anybody have a light on their AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    My personal preference is not to use remote pressure switches.
    I don't like added garbage that gets in the way, or can be an added failure point/something to get snagged on.
    There are times when they are necessary though - perhaps it provides the best reasonable placement.

I didn't use the ones that came with my Crimson Trace units. You get what you pay for, and like you, I don't want to rely on tape or zip ties - and I don't have the cash for high end stuff that I would prefer.

Speaking of the CT lights - this is the 2 battery 900 lumen version and I think this is the best price ($78.72) anywhere at the moment.
    (not saying to buy it - just tossing it out since I have it bookmarked)
    https://littlecreektrading.com/ctc-t...mnt-900-lumen/
    The issue is i want to mount the light on the right side for a variety of reasons. This puts it at an inconvenient place for the weak hand to activate.

And before you ask. Let me show my work. 1. I'm right handed with right eye dominance and shoot with both eyes open. This means left eye is there for situational awareness. Having a light blocking any part of my view is less than ideal. 2. From my range observations, most people don't practice enough. Lots of people shoot left. If aiming at a light on my right side and they tend to hit left, there is less chance of being hit in this far fetched scenario. Light on left side puts it dead center on my body. No thanks.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I don't like added garbage that gets in the way, or can be an added failure point/something to get snagged on.
    There are times when they are necessary though - perhaps it provides the best reasonable placement.

I didn't use the ones that came with my Crimson Trace units. You get what you pay for, and like you, I don't want to rely on tape or zip ties - and I don't have the cash for high end stuff that I would prefer.

Speaking of the CT lights - this is the 2 battery 900 lumen version and I think this is the best price ($78.72) anywhere at the moment.
    The issue is i want to mount the light on the right side for a variety of reasons. This puts it at an inconvenient place for the weak hand to activate.

And before you ask. Let me show my work. 1. I'm right handed with right eye dominance and shoot with both eyes open. This means left eye is there for situational awareness. Having a light blocking any part of my view is less than ideal. 2. From my range observations, most people don't practice enough. Lots of people shoot left. If aiming at a light on my right side and they tend to hit left, there is less chance of being hit in this far fetched scenario. Light on left side puts it dead center on my body. No thanks.

-Zach

Also, getting a weird duplicate post error but can't see said duplicate.

(Bucks County)

I'm getting a weird duplicate post error.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I'm getting a weird duplicate post error.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

And then they all post at once. Cool.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Don't know if you saw this one.
    Olight

It has a pressure switch pic rail mount. I THINK he sez it has zip ties to secure it though.
    That said, it's a heck of a lot more secure than the CT light switch I have.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Surefire P2X Fury flashlight in a Fenix mount, and a Streamlight TRL-1s.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I just feel like if I'm going to use zip ties and tape, i could just zip tie a flashlight to my gun and call it a day. I could understand zip ties for keeping the wire runs neat and snag free. But then I'm left with double stick tape. Now is probably a good time to discuss how much i have sticky things. And also how prone they are to losing their stick when near heat, water, oil, or solvents (3 of which are regularly around guns).

-Zach
    +1
    These
    https://www.harborfreight.com/11-inc...gg_q=wire+ties
    and this
    http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-XML-T6-LED-Flashlight-Rechargable-Super-Bright-Torch-With-18650-Battery/143920406044?hash=item2182531e1c:gVAAAOSwzUVgA~gJ

Ive had these on some house guns for a few years. zip tie them thru the m-lok slots.cut the tie and recharge 18650 battery every year just in case. Shot them tied to shotguns, ar15s and alike. they have not blinked out on me yet. comes with charger, i did buy better 18650s tho. i dont like the way the mounts on the other styles make the light stick out. just another thing to get hung up on in my view. i also prfer the 3 mode lights, the strobe is bright and you can work thru the modes to make it your first on option. Yep chineese made pos. yep bright, strobe, mounted with 3 ties, rugged enuf for me.
    75/15/10

I have one of these on my 10mm 1911.
    https://www.nebotools.com/p/RM230/602
    I like the strobe function. My kid wanted to know what that was for so I removed it and showed him...he almost fell over trying to get to me from across the living room.
    Functions well and not a bad price.

There's one of these on my piston gun.
    https://www.streamlight.com/products...ail-mount-hl-x
    It's 1,000 lumens...no, you probably don't need this but you want this. Plus they're a PA company.

Then there is one of these on my camo AR.
    https://www.coyotelight.com/cl1-predator-light/
    You probably don't need this either but if you decide to take up predator hunting this is the way to go.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I just feel like if I'm going to use zip ties and tape, i could just zip tie a flashlight to my gun and call it a day. I could understand zip ties for keeping the wire runs neat and snag free. But then I'm left with double stick tape. Now is probably a good time to discuss how much i have sticky things. And also how prone they are to losing their stick when near heat, water, oil, or solvents (3 of which are regularly around guns).

-Zach
    The Olight tape switches have a holder, that snaps onto Pic rail sections. The tywraps are optional for extra security or cable management. Those tape switches stay put, no worries there.

I own 2 Streamlight DF600 setups with tapes, 2 Olight Valkyrie pros with tapes, 2 Olight Odins with tapes, 1 odin Mini with tape, and Olight warrior pros with tapes. Also run some streamlight Tlr's, and Olight Valkyrie mini 2's.

The Olight switches work pretty well, I've had issue with the Odin though. They dont like taking a boatload of muzzle blast, lmfao. Olight immediately sent out replacement parts though. CS is on point.

Depending on your setup, and whether you cantilever the light out, you may or may not run into some issues.

Cheap and effective, is running something like a Streamlight TLR HL on the pic rail and manually activate it. Olight has a few otions that work, but Olight has limits on their max brightness run time, then it steps down. So like 2 min of max brightness, then it steps down. WHich is to prevent it from cooking itself. The Olight magnetic charging setup is pretty sweet though. Theres something to be said about just swapping in batteries with a streamlight or surefire though.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast