Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Benelli M4 ARGO question

Who has a Benelli M4? Does the ARGO gas system reliably cycle target loads? I've been looking at buying the M4 or the Turkish clone Toros T4 but if it's only going to run buckshot and high brass stuff, there's no point in getting it because that ammo is just as difficult to find as 9mm.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Benelli M4 ARGO question

I’ve got an m2 that eats everything and anything. The m4 is supposed to be a bit more finicky than the inertia guns. What has you looking at the m4 specifically? A 1014 is on my bucket list.

(Westmoreland County)

Mine has always cycled the cheap federal or Winchester 100 round vale packs from Walmart with no problems

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I*ve got an m2 that eats everything and anything. The m4 is supposed to be a bit more finicky than the inertia guns. What has you looking at the m4 specifically? A 1014 is on my bucket list.
    I've always thought it was a gorgeous shotgun and recently found out the safety was reversible for left hand operation so my reason for not buying it is gone. I like the full length magazine tubes with barrel retaining rings up by the muzzle so it has that edge over a Beretta 1301.

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    Mine has always cycled the cheap federal or Winchester 100 round vale packs from Walmart with no problems
    Good to know.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    Has it always worked with the light shells or did you have to "break it in" with slugs? I've heard some people say it won't/shouldn't/can't cycle low brass but I see it on video all the time. Also, all of the autoloading shotguns I've owned functioned just fine with birdshot so I'm inclined to believe that will continue. Or hope it will anyway.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Has it always worked with the light shells or did you have to "break it in" with slugs? I've heard some people say it won't/shouldn't/can't cycle low brass but I see it on video all the time. Also, all of the autoloading shotguns I've owned functioned just fine with birdshot so I'm inclined to believe that will continue. Or hope it will anyway.
    It shot light shells with out any break in at all.I also thought I would have to brake it in when I was doing research before I got it

(Delaware County)

Old thread bump? I have an M4 and it is a military shotgun designed to shoot exclusively full power buckshot and slugs. I shoot 1300 FPS+ 00 and #4 without fail. I attempted to shoot law enforcement reduced recoil ~1100 FPS Federal flite-control 00 and it failed to cycle almost every single time. The Benelli M3 and its old relative the SPAS-12 are dual mode pump/auto shotguns specifically to shoot lesser powered loads. My M4 has probably 150 high power loads through it, but it's a jam-o-matic with anything "reduced recoil". If you want an auto shotgun that can also manually cycle lesser powered loads I'd recommend trying to find an M3. Trying to quickly cycle the bolt on an M4 to eject rounds can result in some serious flesh removal; it's surprisingly easy to snag a piece of your finger between the bolt handle and the receiver slot.

I should add the purpose of the dual pistols is for cleanliness/reliability, not for allowing cycling of low power rounds. The pistons move a very small distance, maybe like 5mm to unlock the bolt, the rest of the way the bolt is moving only by inertia; they aren't long throw pistons like in an AK. I think for this shotgun velocity is more important than shot weight.
    Last edited by schwetty; March 17th, 2021 at 07:50 PM.

(Wyoming County)

*ETA: Now I see this was a thread bump

I don't have any shotguns so I'm of little help but I just watched the below video and
    Mr GnG

directly answers this question

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Franklin County)

I've been debating this shotgun for a LONG time. I've done a ton of research and watched a lot of videos. From everything I've gathered, nearly all owners say they run target loads just fine. You have to figure at least 80% of people probably run nothing BUT target loads. Not many people like dropping $1-$2 per shell on good 00 loads at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    *ETA: Now I see this was a thread bump

I don't have any shotguns so I'm of little help but I just watched the below video and
    Mr GnG

directly answers this question

My wife got a Beretta 1301 Comp about a month ago. Only have about 150 rounds through it so far. It does not like anything under 1000 fps. It eats everything else. According to Beretta it needs a couple hundred rounds of heavy stuff to break it in. I installed the Kick-off recoil insert and a TACCOM3G +4 mag tube extension for her. It's a really great shotgun to shoot. Stupid fast. With the Kick-off, slugs and buckshot are all day easy. Much more pleasant to shoot than the M4 or my 930SPX, IMO.

Will probably get myself a 1301 Tactical next year. I really dig the green color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast