Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Benelli M4 ARGO question

Quote Originally Posted by schwetty View Post
    Old thread bump? I have an M4 and it is a military shotgun designed to shoot exclusively full power buckshot and slugs. I shoot 1300 FPS+ 00 and #4 without fail. I attempted to shoot law enforcement reduced recoil ~1100 FPS Federal flite-control 00 and it failed to cycle almost every single time. The Benelli M3 and its old relative the SPAS-12 are dual mode pump/auto shotguns specifically to shoot lesser powered loads. My M4 has probably 150 high power loads through it, but it's a jam-o-matic with anything "reduced recoil". If you want an auto shotgun that can also manually cycle lesser powered loads I'd recommend trying to find an M3. Trying to quickly cycle the bolt on an M4 to eject rounds can result in some serious flesh removal; it's surprisingly easy to snag a piece of your finger between the bolt handle and the receiver slot.

I should add the purpose of the dual pistols is for cleanliness/reliability, not for allowing cycling of low power rounds. The pistons move a very small distance, maybe like 5mm to unlock the bolt, the rest of the way the bolt is moving only by inertia; they aren't long throw pistons like in an AK. I think for this shotgun velocity is more important than shot weight.
    You seem to have had a vastly different experience than I have with the M1014. Mine shoots the 1145 FPS Winchester AA light target loads just fine and it does this with strong ejection too. The hulls aren't just oozing out of the ejection port. I don't have any 1100 FPS slugs or anything like that but the Benelli is so soft shooting with the 1600 FPS Remington and Federal that I see no reason to buy the less powerful stuff.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I've been debating this shotgun for a LONG time. I've done a ton of research and watched a lot of videos. From everything I've gathered, nearly all owners say they run target loads just fine. You have to figure at least 80% of people probably run nothing BUT target loads. Not many people like dropping $1-$2 per shell on good 00 loads at the range.
    I shot almost exclusively target loads up until pretty recently when I was able to get a bunch of slugs and realized how much I love hitting steel with a 1 ounce chunk of lead at 1600 feet per second. Shotgun used to be "clean up" at the end of the range trip where I'd use birdshot to strip the remaining paint off my steel but I started with it the last couple times.

(Franklin County)

Well, I bought one since my first post in the thread. I have had mine for about 3 months now. I've run everything from dove loads to magnum slugs. She eats it all. I've started loading a lot of 2" shells with 525 grain Lyman slugs, and she cycles them no problem. This shotgun will SPOIL YOU on recoil. I took my 870 to the range with the M4 last week to see how it patterned my 10 pellet 00 buck loads. I can shoot them all day in the M4. I put one in the 870, I pulled a muscle in my back and heard a crack. No joke! It kicked the piss out of me, and I wasn't expecting it. The Benelli is phenomenal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12