Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Best .45 ACP under $1000

I saw the Glock and XD .45 posts below, but I am in the market for a .45 ACP pistol and wanted to get the invaluabe advice of the board.

My price range: I would go up to $1000 or so.
    Use: Take to the range a couple times a month, shoot IDPA, and perhaps carry on occassion. (Carry being the least important of the three)

So which way would you go? Kimber, Colt, SA, 220, Glock? I would value your opinions.

(Lackawanna County)

CZ-97B

http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/CZ97B_Review.htm

Can be had for less than $550.00
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

I personally think that you can't go wrong with any of the pistols that you mentioned, all of them are great. One thing that I would take into account that there are some significant differences in the pistols that you named. Do you prefer the heavy reliable feel of an all metal gun, or do you enjoy the light and sturdy feel of polymer frames. Do you prefer model 1911's, or some of the "less traditional" designs? If you are more interested in a range gun, or something like shoots that will require accuracy, I'd recommend something near a 5" barrel. Although this could be a bit bulky if you're carrying, for what your main purposes are, you'd probably find alot of use for the extra inch of barrel. In all metal guns, I think that Kimber makes some beautiful pistols that shoot quite accurate and reliably. As far as polymer frames go, I think that the XD is the best bang for your buck over a glock. I could be a bit biased because I do own an XD 45, but I did check out other pistols before I decided on an XD.

Something else to consider is that some pistols like the Kimber come with fully adjustable sights like Bo-mar or Dawson sights, which you might find quite useful for the purposes you stated. If you were going with a "cheaper" pistol like a Glock or XD, you could customize the trigger, and have whatever sites you wanted installed, and still be under your $1,000 price range. I'd just consider some of those things. Best of luck to you, and holler if there's any other recomendations I can offer.

(Lancaster County)

It is always a good idea to try before you buy - borrow a friends or rent at the range. Also be sure the trigger reach is not too long for you, esp on the double stacked versions. And when judging trigger reach try picking up quickly. I had a glock 30 and when I took time to place in hand ok, but a quick grab and I could end up with bad grip and pushing trigger to side not straight back and glock would not go off without a lot of pressure.

If you are still not sure buy something you can sell quickly without too much of a loss if you don't ultimately like it. As you shoot and meet people you will gain experience and opportunity to try other guns and be exposed to various opinions.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Hi cap. .45 pistol.

Hello guys and dolls, I am trying to make up my mind in buying a good, reliable and less expensive than $1000 pistol, what I have in mind is the Taurus 24/7 in .45 cal., high capacity, (more than 10 ), it is perhaps light to carry because it is made of polymer, 4" barrel, can any body tell me please if this is a good and dependable for a carry ? and what about the accuracy and durability ? is it also reliable shooter and investment ?
    Thanks all.
    frm: deepchargeak47

Hello deepcharge, I haven't ever fired a Taurus 24/7 but I have done a bit of research on the pistol and read some reviews in my guns and ammo magazine, and american handgunner. Both seemed to be quite impressed with how the pistol shot, saying that it was accurate (2.5-3.5" groups at 25 yards), not picky on ammunition (cycled and shot all well), and extremely comfortable. They say that the grip on the gun is one of the nicest features of it. As far as being lighter, it is lighter than the traditional all metal .45's. It is pretty much the same weight as the XD .45 (30 oz), Glock 21 (29.25 oz), and the Taurus (27.2 oz), so they are all about the same "middle of the road" in terms of size and weight. All of the new polymer guns are amazingly light and durable. As far as the dependability, I haven't ever fired one so I do not know about their small hiccups, but both of the reviewers in the magazines had no problems or abnormal wear after about 1,000 rounds. Maybe someone else on here has a bit more firsthand experience with shooting them, or their resale value. I know that the polymer pistols I mentioned are also pretty closely priced. The Glock 21 is around $550 sometimes cheaper, Taurus lists on their site $485, and the XD at around $525. I'm not sure about the accessory packages, but I do know the XD durrently comes with a case, 2 mags, speed loader, holster, and mag holster. As far as capacity, the Taurus can be purchased in 10+1 or 12+1 config, Glock in 10+1 or 13+1, and the Xd in 13+1.

One other thing to consider also is what kind of trigger you like. These all have different, but partially similar trigger systems on them. The Taurus does offer "double strike" capability, in the event that a round does not go off. Although many people have mixed emotions about how useful this is in a gunfight, some would rather rack the slide, and some would rather try to click it again. I'd recommend trying to go to a range and renting them or asking shooters you see there some questions about their experience with their pistol. Glock is known for its reliability, and from what we have seen so far Springfields have been. As I said, I don't have a ton of experience with a Taurus, so you might ask around. Goodluck with your purchase, and I hope that this helps a little.

(Chester County)

colt NRM(new roll mark) 1911 government model. around 650-750. well worth it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    I saw the Glock and XD .45 posts below, but I am in the market for a .45 ACP pistol and wanted to get the invaluabe advice of the board.

My price range: I would go up to $1000 or so.
    Use: Take to the range a couple times a month, shoot IDPA, and perhaps carry on occassion. (Carry being the least important of the three)

So which way would you go? Kimber, Colt, SA, 220, Glock? I would value your opinions.
    Glock 21. Excellent for either purpose highlighted in red, not so much for the blue. Now before anyone jumps in, I'm not a Glocknut. I only own one, right now, but it works flawlessly. Clean, dirty, or downright disgustingly filthy, never a hiccup. If you plan to do any kind of competition, I don't think you can go wrong with this choice. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the recommendations so far. The Glock 21 and XD are both great pieces. I really love the SIG 220ST, too. However, I am leaning towards owning my first 1911, because it would help round out my collection and provide a different shooting experience with great opportunities to upgrade.

Tear down and reassembly will be a bitch, but I've finally mastered my Ruger MkIII, so I need something else to frustrate and bedevil me.

With that knowledge, would a Springfield Milspec or GI be a good place to start? I would end up upgrading trigger, mag, sights as time goes on. Or should I bite the bullet and just pick up a nice Kimber?

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088
    Hello deepcharge, I haven't ever fired a Taurus 24/7 but I have done a bit of research on the pistol and read some reviews in my guns and ammo magazine, and american handgunner. Both seemed to be quite impressed with how the pistol shot, saying that it was accurate (2.5-3.5" groups at 25 yards), not picky on ammunition (cycled and shot all well), and extremely comfortable. They say that the grip on the gun is one of the nicest features of it. As far as being lighter, it is lighter than the traditional all metal .45's. It is pretty much the same weight as the XD .45 (30 oz), Glock 21 (29.25 oz), and the Taurus (27.2 oz), so they are all about the same "middle of the road" in terms of size and weight. All of the new polymer guns are amazingly light and durable. As far as the dependability, I haven't ever fired one so I do not know about their small hiccups, but both of the reviewers in the magazines had no problems or abnormal wear after about 1,000 rounds. Maybe someone else on here has a bit more firsthand experience with shooting them, or their resale value. I know that the polymer pistols I mentioned are also pretty closely priced. The Glock 21 is around $550 sometimes cheaper, Taurus lists on their site $485, and the XD at around $525. I'm not sure about the accessory packages, but I do know the XD durrently comes with a case, 2 mags, speed loader, holster, and mag holster. As far as capacity, the Taurus can be purchased in 10+1 or 12+1 config, Glock in 10+1 or 13+1, and the Xd in 13+1.

One other thing to consider also is what kind of trigger you like. These all have different, but partially similar trigger systems on them. The Taurus does offer "double strike" capability, in the event that a round does not go off. Although many people have mixed emotions about how useful this is in a gunfight, some would rather rack the slide, and some would rather try to click it again. I'd recommend trying to go to a range and renting them or asking shooters you see there some questions about their experience with their pistol. Glock is known for its reliability, and from what we have seen so far Springfields have been. As I said, I don't have a ton of experience with a Taurus, so you might ask around. Goodluck with your purchase, and I hope that this helps a little.
    Thank you Mr. Tomcat for this good information you told me, at least I have a good direction on what and where to go for selections, trying it in the range with rental guns available would also be a good Idea, so perhaps I should start looking for an indoor range where I can maybe rent the Taurus 24/7 for the day and see what it can do to satisfy me.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast