Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Taurus 24/7 .45 ?

Thanks guys for all your great input to help me decide about the Taurus 7/24 in .45 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. The Glock 21 and XD are both great pieces. I really love the SIG 220ST, too. However, I am leaning towards owning my first 1911, because it would help round out my collection and provide a different shooting experience with great opportunities to upgrade.

Tear down and reassembly will be a bitch, but I've finally mastered my Ruger MkIII, so I need something else to frustrate and bedevil me.

With that knowledge, would a Springfield Milspec or GI be a good place to start? I would end up upgrading trigger, mag, sights as time goes on. Or should I bite the bullet and just pick up a nice Kimber?
    I think that Springfield makes some very exceptional 1911's, and most people will tell you that they do. I personally wouldn't compare them to a Kimber, but that's just my personal opinion. If you're ging to buy a Milspec or GI, you're going to spend at least $650-750, or so. Then after having the trigger job that you're talking about done, magazines, and putting on different sights, this could be quite a significant upgrade. Depending on what you have done to it, and which sites you put on it, that will put the pistol around the $1,000-$1,200. If you opted to go with springfield's custom shop, you're going to spend around $1,600 at their cheapest model. I know that with a Kimber warrior, you get Tritium night sights, skeletonized hammer, match grade frame, slide, barrel, etc. They list it on their site for $1,200, but I know that you can purchase that pistol for around $995. You might be able to find the milspec springfields for cheaper than their site lists, but typically I've found to be able to purchase their pistols for what they list. If you can get the Warrior for $995 with a little shopping, I would definately recommend spending the extra $250, so that you have a pistol that has match grade parts, and needs less customization than the other one. Just my opinion, but I hope that helps.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. The Glock 21 and XD are both great pieces. I really love the SIG 220ST, too. However, I am leaning towards owning my first 1911, because it would help round out my collection and provide a different shooting experience with great opportunities to upgrade.

Tear down and reassembly will be a bitch, but I've finally mastered my Ruger MkIII, so I need something else to frustrate and bedevil me.

With that knowledge, would a Springfield Milspec or GI be a good place to start? I would end up upgrading trigger, mag, sights as time goes on. Or should I bite the bullet and just pick up a nice Kimber?
    You definately can go the 1911 route. The choices there are limitless. I only mentioned the G21 because of your possible intent to compete. Sometimes the 1911 can be finicky, and tempermental. Whereas I stated, the Glocks are workhorses, and they'll gladly eat what you feed them. Springfields are a decent gun for the money, and the mil-spec is a good platform for upgrades. If you haven't done the 1911's yet, you'll soon find it's an addiction within an addiction. You can customize them every which way. Best of luck deciding.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Luzerne County)

GLOCK 21 ! GLOCK 21! GLOCK 21! By far a true fighting pistol! I've owned a lot of .45ACP's and this one beats them all! Just do some research. IMOHO single action pistols are not for the meek they require alot of training so you can operate them affectively in a gunfight. With the Glock you just point and shoot. The average you will spend on your G21 will be about $500. You can use the other $500 to buy ammo and practice. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by SSGF109; July 1st, 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Lol, you really are all about the glocks SSGF, lol. I get really tickled when you talk about them, becuase I think you're one of their biggest fans. Cole, you're welcome for the input, and I hope that it helps you makes a decision that you're very pleased with and enjoy for as long as you're shooting. Take care, practice hard, and enjoy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088
    Lol, you really are all about the glocks SSGF, lol. I get really tickled when you talk about them, becuase I think you're one of their biggest fans. Cole, you're welcome for the input, and I hope that it helps you makes a decision that you're very pleased with and enjoy for as long as you're shooting. Take care, practice hard, and enjoy.
    I share SSGF's love of glocks, as far as I am concerned you buy a glock for life and any other handgun is just for fun.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I agree with that statement dan, they're dang good guns that last forever. Exactly the way a good ford or chevy pickup do in Texas, lol. I like glocks, they're quite an innovation, I just also like to change up my flavor sometimes. I do hope that my XD ends up being like a glock, a workhorse that I die before it does.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree with that statement dan, they're dang good guns that last forever. Exactly the way a good ford or chevy pickup do in Texas, lol. I like glocks, they're quite an innovation, I just also like to change up my flavor sometimes. I do hope that my XD ends up being like a glock, a workhorse that I die before it does.
    I agree completely, I own 7 handguns and I enjoy shooting them all, but my glocks are the ones I hold above all others.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Luzerne County)

MY NAME IS SSGF109

and yes I am a Glockaholic!

...all kidding aside I used a G17(confiscated from a prisoner) in Iraq as a backup to my junky issued Beretta M9. The G17 was never effected by the sand or heat.
    Last edited by SSGF109; July 1st, 2006 at 03:03 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

you could get a colt. you could also get two springfield armory GI models.... sometimes i wish mine had a rail. i have a real hankering to put a red dot on mine.....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast