Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dumb shotgun questions

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, I shot a handful of slugs thru my 18" smooth bore Persuader at the club and was easily able to hit clay pigeons on the backstop at the club on the range where we hold the group shoots - so about 35 yards or so.
    That was the extent of my slug shooting.

Years later I realized all my other guns for home defense were semi auto and I didn't want to be in a stressful situation and not remember that I have to rack the slide - so I sold it.
    Wouldn't mind a semi, but not a priority. I prefer short, light, and handy to big and unwieldy for home defense.
    There are very few semi auto shotguns I would trust for HD, and none of them are cheap.

"Rifled" slugs are used in smoothbore barrels. In 3gun, I use a modified choke. The actual projectile is roughly the size of the bore, and has twisted grooves on it to impart a spin for stability. My experience is adequate accuracy for reliable hits on a USPSA/IDPA target out to 100 yards. "Groups" at 50 to 75 yards, max.

"Sabots" like Accu-Tips are used in rifled slug barrels. In a smooth bore barrel you will not gain the accuracy they are capable of attaining. The actual projectile is often 40 caliber. These are the 40-cal projectile encased in a plastic sleeve roughly the diameter of the bore. The Sabot needs the rifled slug barrel to impart the spin. There are reports of 20-ga Accu-Tips providing adequate hunting-sized groups out to 200 yds.

I don't see a value of using either, inside a house for "home defense". This is due to limited distances inside the house, and the high probability of overpenetration.

Unless a 800-lb grizzly is INSIDE your house, which in PA means it must have escaped from the Philadelphia Zoo...

Like everything else, using a shotgun for home defense requires practice. Extended practice sessions with a 12ga pump shotgun is not my idea of fun.

Pumps can jamb, contrary to popular belief. I have experienced the empty shell jamming in the chamber (I had to pogo the stock on a tree) and having the shell slip out of the magazine and induce a condition with two shells on the liftgate (shove one bag in the magazine; it hurts).

The best asset of using a shotgun in home defense is you are less likely to make nationwide news, vs. an "Evil AR-15."
    Last edited by chauncey; January 15th, 2021 at 03:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    There are very few semi auto shotguns I would trust for HD, and none of them are cheap.
    That was another reason I haven't gone down that path.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

The 2/3" shell will work fine in a 3" chamber. Practice is what is needed for a firearm to be of any use in home defense. Don't shoot slugs out of full choke barrels or barrels using a full choke tube unless you like bulges in your barrel after repeated abuse.

I currently train with a double barrel shotgun and if there is ever any trouble I go out on the balcony and fire two blasts.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Unless you need a shotgun to hunt geese don't pass on a 2 3/4 inch "only" shotgun for home defense. One shot with a full powered 3 inch shell and you will know why!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The 2/3" shell will work fine in a 3" chamber. Practice is what is needed for a firearm to be of any use in home defense. Don't shoot slugs out of full choke barrels or barrels using a full choke tube unless you like bulges in your barrel after repeated abuse.

I currently train with a double barrel shotgun and if there is ever any trouble I go out on the balcony and fire two blasts.
    Ok on the 2 shot blast, Dementia Joe Approves..................

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post

I*m just screwed... no balcony.

(Washington County)

My bullpop is mag fed, i'll just get a box of each 3" and 2 3/4" shells and see what feeds and doesn't. it would be interesting at the least to see.

the barrel is 19" i believe which i thought was odd. But it is turkish so I guess I shouldnt be to surpised.
    If the Internet says it, then it must be true.

(Monroe County)

Where are all the dumb questions?
    Thread did not deliver.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Washington County)

Lol sorry, I thought they were. I'll do better next time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast