Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dumb shotgun questions

What is the "normal" length of a shot gun barrel ? ( Just like most ARs are 16" )

AND

Do they have semi auto shotguns that load the next round automatically, so you dont have to do the "chic chic" thing ?
    "May the odds be ever in America's favor"

(Montgomery County)

Most "off the shelf " slugs are designed for smooth bore, but will work just fine in rifled barrels. I also like the buck shot for home defense.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    good idea, i like the buckshot consideration.

Remember, not all buck is the same.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

A 1oz. load of #4 buck is throwing 21 0.24" projectiles down range.

A 1oz. load of #00 buck is only throwing 8 0.33" projectiles.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Isn't slug use determined by the type of barrel?

Unless I'm mistaken:
    Some barrels are rifled - most are smooth.
    Some slugs are "rifled" - most are smooth.

I never did look into the slug thing before selling my shotguns, so I'm not sure.
    In my experience, I always used a rifled barrel for slugs - but because I needed to accurately shoot at longer distances (50-100 yards). Pretty sure you should never shoot a slug out of a smooth bore barrel with a choke in it, you'll fuck it up. Can you shoot a slug out of a smooth bore with no choke? probably, but i'm sure it'll be fairly inaccurate at any considerable distance.
    -Brandon

(Montgomery County)

Think of a shotgun like this, when using shot. Judge it based on the performance of a single piece of shot.

Would you rely on the penetration of a BB sized piece of shot about 1.5 inches into a target or would you prefer 10 inches of penetration from a 00 buck piece of shot.

It really is that simple. Birdshot is not effective enough for anti personnel duty for me to bet my life on it. However, I do not really like shotguns and only have one that is tuned for 3 gun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    In my experience, I always used a rifled barrel for slugs - but because I needed to accurately shoot at longer distances (50-100 yards). Pretty sure you should never shoot a slug out of a smooth bore barrel with a choke in it, you'll fuck it up. Can you shoot a slug out of a smooth bore with no choke? probably, but i'm sure it'll be fairly inaccurate at any considerable distance.
    I would not shoot anything without a choke in(unless the barrel doesn't have removeable chokes). I think for most slugs you should use an open choke (Improved Cyl. or Cylinder). Most slugs will tell you on the box whether they can be used in a smooth barrel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCan99 View Post
    What is the "normal" length of a shot gun barrel ? ( Just like most ARs are 16" )

AND

Do they have semi auto shotguns that load the next round automatically, so you dont have to do the "chic chic" thing ?
    A "normal" home defense style shotgun will have a 18inch barrel. A "normal" hunting shotgun will probably have a 26 or 28 inch barrel.

Yes they make semi-auto shotguns.

I load up my shottie with OO ! That said if the need arises to defend myself,family or property I would not be concerned about ruining your sheetrock !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    Yeah, I shot a handful of slugs thru my 18" smooth bore Persuader at the club and was easily able to hit clay pigeons on the backstop at the club on the range where we hold the group shoots - so about 35 yards or so.
    That was the extent of my slug shooting.

Years later I realized all my other guns for home defense were semi auto and I didn't want to be in a stressful situation and not remember that I have to rack the slide - so I sold it.
    Wouldn't mind a semi, but not a priority. I prefer short, light, and handy to big and unwieldy for home defense.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Most 3" chambered shotguns can use 2-3/4" shells. There are a couple oddballs, particularly those fed from box magazines, that don't play as well with the shorter shells.

3" shells are more of a gimmick than of necessity. ELEPHANTS were killed with 2.5" blackpowder loaded 12ga shells pushing lead foster slugs and round balls in the late 1800's. Ducks, deer, and burglars fall in well below elephants.

Choked guns + slugs = usually isn't a problem. Although, Full, Extra-Full, and Turkey chokes may see more issues. Modern steel fixed chokes probably wont be impacted at all. Screw in chokes may be damaged, or may not be damaged, depending on quality of gun/chokes. The swaging of the slug through the choke would likely effect accuracy.

Lead slugs thru rifled barrels can often be more accurate than sabot slugs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast