Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default What did you reload today?

With the ammo shortage, more people are reloading than ever. What are you up to? Tell us about your latest batch - your recipe, tips & tricks, what problems you solved. Pictures are encouraged, but not necessary.

I've been working for a few evenings to reload 900 rounds of 9mm. It was the largest batch I've done since starting to reload a few months ago. These were components I got from my dad. He had a can of American Select shotgun powder, but I don't have a shotgun. I found recipes for it for 9mm, so I used 5.0 gr under 125 gr lead round nose. I tested some rounds in my P229 on Sunday and they ran fine, so I decided to run the bullets out.

I'm not complaining because all the components were free, but this was the first time I used lead bullets, and it was tough. The wax lubricant built up on the seater die so quickly that I had to pull it and clean it every 50-100 rounds, and it was hard work to clean the wax off of the cases. How did you old-timers deal with that? Next time I reload 9mm, I'll try DucatiRon's coated hard cast bullets.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: What did you reload today?

No reloading today but made about 12,000 125grain 9mm bullets. We are moving our reloading operation at our shop. Should be up and running again in a few days. Till then ,

MORE BULLETS
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    With the ammo shortage, more people are reloading than ever. What are you up to? Tell us about your latest batch - your recipe, tips & tricks, what problems you solved. Pictures are encouraged, but not necessary.

I've been working for a few evenings to reload 900 rounds of 9mm. It was the largest batch I've done since starting to reload a few months ago. These were components I got from my dad. He had a can of American Select shotgun powder, but I don't have a shotgun. I found recipes for it for 9mm, so I used 5.0 gr under 125 gr lead round nose. I tested some rounds in my P229 on Sunday and they ran fine, so I decided to run the bullets out.

I'm not complaining because all the components were free, but this was the first time I used lead bullets, and it was tough. The wax lubricant built up on the seater die so quickly that I had to pull it and clean it every 50-100 rounds, and it was hard work to clean the wax off of the cases. How did you old-timers deal with that? Next time I reload 9mm, I'll try DucatiRon's coated hard cast bullets.
    Nice bench.. love the yankee screwdriver. What lube are you using? My seater die gummed up when I used lee liquid alox. After that I used the alox to make my own 45/45/10 I think they call it. It's a much thinned down version that is swirled in with heated bullets. Doesn't look like they're lubed but they are and doesn't gum up the die. I have also powder coated my own. Also have some of Ron's coated.

I haven't reloaded anything in a while.. last thing I did was clean and deprime .380 brass.

I reloaded all Summer/Fall expecting the shitshow that we're now in. So I have 5K+ of each caliber I shoot, plus components for at least 5K more of each. I just need to find time to shoot some of it.

357sig
    9mm
    45acp
    300blackout

More specialized calibers have about 1K loaded and 1K components

6.5cm
    458socom
    308win
    300wm
    30-06

(Clarion County)

The pic of your setup has inspired me to get a shovel and broom and put cleaning out the reloading room on my list.
    Don't know the bullets you were loading, but since I cast "fat" bullets I have to pay attention to the bell applied to the case prior to seating the bullets. Not enough can scrape some lube, and possibly lead off the bullet when seating.
    I take the caliper and routinely check OAL every 50 rounds or so insure nothings changed.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lehigh County)

I bought a bunch of woodworking tools prior to retiring, thinking they would keep me busy. Nope, but the Delta Contractor saw makes a nice stable platform for the RL550B. I just got done making 300 .223s and am currently making 115gr FMJRN 9mm. I do, 9, 38, 40, 357, 45ACP and 223/5.56. Thanks to my old range rat habits I've got plenty of brass and thanks to my hoarding complex have a good supply of bullets and primers.

[IMG]141286[/IMG]
    NRA Life Member

Still new to reloading. Currently wrapping up sizing .40 s&w. Moving on to .380 and 9mm soon. Hopefully I will have all my brass prepped by early spring. Lots of 223 and 308 to do.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    The pic of your setup has inspired me to get a shovel and broom and put cleaning out the reloading room on my list.
    Don't know the bullets you were loading, but since I cast "fat" bullets I have to pay attention to the bell applied to the case prior to seating the bullets. Not enough can scrape some lube, and possibly lead off the bullet when seating.
    I take the caliper and routinely check OAL every 50 rounds or so insure nothings changed.
    The only neat and clean reloading shops I have ever seen were cleaned 5 minutes before the pic

(Allegheny County)

I've been loading 300 blackout subs on my rockchucker. the progressive is in the cold garage and I don't want to burn the gas to heat it up. its been awhile since I single staged it. damn it takes a long time but being newly retired, I find i have the time.

(Washington County)

Last week I spent a couple hours on my XL650 loading 2500 rounds of 5.56 using mixed range brass, Hornady 55gr FMJBTWC, S&B and winchester small rifle primers, and WC-844 powder. The powder charge I settled on for this lot of powder got me around 2900 FPS out of a 16" barrel. Grouped pretty nice out of various AR's and a C93 HK clone.

FYI for those that don't know, WC-844 is a military powder that needs to have the powder weight worked up for every lot number.

I have some more 5.56 to load, then I have a pile of 147gr 9mm to put together, and then .38 special, 45acp, and .308 are on the back log list waiting to go together.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast