Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Default Re: What did you reload today?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have found that I cannot get a piece of paper to slide between the stock and the barrel so I figure that needs rectifying. Is it done with sandpaper or shims?
    I was gonna ask if the barrel was bedded or the handguard free flloating..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXYUEjqLzw Larry will show you how..
    SigGendered

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    And here are the results of my latest artwork. 225 grn .338 built to fit the chamber with 70 grns of IMR4831. I finally outschmarted the Labradar for a full run so I have some data that I can save and use. My OAL is longer but now my bullets are up closer to the barrel when fired and my velocity has gone up vs the last shot. At 100 yds, I cannot complain about my horizontal variation but my vertical needs some work. I figure it would take some in-person schooling to figure out what I am doing wrong. IMO, if the horizontal can be this tight, so should the vertical. Am I wrong? I'm also thinking that I should stick to this recipe until I get better as a shooter myself.

Attachment 160122

Attachment 160123
    Yeah, I saw the photo in the other thread. You've got the windage figured out.

What are you shooting from? Sandbags and the buttstock supported on your shoulder, or a bipod, or a mount that supports the entire rifle? If from a sandbag or bipod, breathing control and heartbeat can make that much vertical stringing at 100 yards. A shooter has to learn to squeeze off the shot with the same quantity of air in his lungs each time, and at the same time in his heartbeat. If you watch the target through the scope, you can see the crosshairs rise and fall as you take breaths, and as your heart beats. I read a great tutorial on by a master shooter in the Marine Corps, Jim Owens. Here's a link to some free chapters in his book Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, & the Big Lie. It helped me when I used to shoot my Mosin Nagant in High Power matches at 200 yards.

https://jarheadtop.com/sight-alignment-free-1/

One other thing to be aware of with your reload OAL, make sure the length is not too long to fit in the magazine. Sometimes that is what dictates cartridge OAL, not chamber length. If you are single loading, it won't matter, but if you want to load a magazine so you can slay the oncoming Huns from a distance, you'll want the cartridges to fit the magazine. You are more than 1/8" longer than the max per the book.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    I was gonna ask if the barrel was bedded or the handguard free flloating..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXYUEjqLzw Larry will show you how..
    Ironically, I found that video about an hour and a half ago and am currently going at it. Slowly so as to not take off too much material but I am having to take a good bit off. Someone else mentioned that maybe the action would need to be rebedded?
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Yeah, I saw the photo in the other thread. You've got the windage figured out.

What are you shooting from? Sandbags and the buttstock supported on your shoulder, or a bipod, or a mount that supports the entire rifle? If from a sandbag or bipod, breathing control and heartbeat can make that much vertical stringing at 100 yards. A shooter has to learn to squeeze off the shot with the same quantity of air in his lungs each time, and at the same time in his heartbeat. If you watch the target through the scope, you can see the crosshairs rise and fall as you take breaths, and as your heart beats. I read a great tutorial on by a master shooter in the Marine Corps, Jim Owens. Here's a link to some free chapters in his book Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, & the Big Lie. It helped me when I used to shoot my Mosin Nagant in High Power matches at 200 yards.

https://jarheadtop.com/sight-alignment-free-1/

One other thing to be aware of with your reload OAL, make sure the length is not too long to fit in the magazine. Sometimes that is what dictates cartridge OAL, not chamber length. If you are single loading, it won't matter, but if you want to load a magazine so you can slay the oncoming Huns from a distance, you'll want the cartridges to fit the magazine. You are more than 1/8" longer than the max per the book.
    I'm using two bags, one front and one back and I believe that I have the breathing down pat. So far, I'm just loading them one at a time but for the simple knowledge of it, I did put one into the mag yesterday and it did go in but I did not look to see how much clearance it had.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Not sure if I ever posted this, but good info when balancing effort vs results:

http://natoreloading.com/brassprep/
    SigGendered

(Allegheny County)

I increased my stockpile of 30-30 to 110 rounds of reloaded and have an old green box of Rem Core Lokts for a total of 130 rounds.

2022-09-05_03-00-45 by poofy27, on Flickr

Should be ok for a while.

I had loaded the 170 gr Speer Deep Curls with 34.5 gr of IMR 4350 because that's what I had an abundance of..

Unfortunately, the velocity was down at around 1800 fps.
    Expansion in water jugs was good and the doe I shot went down quickly..

I finally got a few pounds of Varget and put a dozen rounds together up to a max load of 33.0 gr.
    The velocity jumped to near 2200fps and accuracy was equal to the 3/4" group I had at 100.

Satisfied this would be my load, I disassembled about 42 rounds, resized the cases, reinstalled the primers and now have all the completed rounds ready for the next few seasons if not longer.

I have 20 rounds of .44 for my other lever gun and am trying LilGun (24.5 gr)
    First batch. I had to rezero with the new load and the last 3 rounds were touching at 100.

2022-09-06_10-52-27 by poofy27, on Flickr

Hopefully, the load is consistent enough to duplicate that decent group. If so, the XTPs will have a new powder.

Still working the Magnums.
    Last edited by 27hand; September 6th, 2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Delaware County)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    #metoo
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Elk County)

10 rds of 25-35, 11 gr Unique under a 117 gr Hornady JRNSP. In between showers today I put them through my 26" Winchester 1894, made in 1908, and with the rear sight elevator on the 3rd step all 10 hit the same cantaloupe-sized rock partially buried in the 100 yd berm. Got dust puffs even with everything soaked.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Next time I reload 9mm, I'll try DucatiRon's coated hard cast bullets.
    I tried and like Ducati Ron's bullets.

(Washington County)

Its almost my *reloading season* aka winter.

Looks like I have 2500 rounds of 308 to load for *plinking* purposes.

Maybe a 1000 5.56 after that. I*m pretty well stocked on everything else.

What*s on everyone else*s bench to load this winter?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast