Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What did you reload today?

I loaded some .300 Win Mags last night.
    I used the last of a pound of RL23 using some twice fired Sig brass and new Nosler brass.
    The Leupold VX5HD custom scope dial came today so once the Atmospheric River changes course, I'll get out again, zero the Tikka T3x at 200. Change the dial and see what the 160gr Hammer Hunter bullets can do.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I loaded some .300 Win Mags last night.
    I used the last of a pound of RL23 using some twice fired Sig brass and new Nosler brass.
    The Leupold VX5HD custom scope dial came today so once the Atmospheric River changes course, I'll get out again, zero the Tikka T3x at 200. Change the dial and see what the 160gr Hammer Hunter bullets can do.
    How do you keep track of how many times the brass has been fired and is it really relevant? In the end, you have to inspect every round anyway.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    How do you keep track of how many times the brass has been fired and is it really relevant? In the end, you have to inspect every round anyway.
    I store my brass in plastic shoe boxes. I put a strip of masking tape on the end with tick marks for each firing. Dirty brass from the range goes into another box with one more tick on it.

(Montgomery County)

I loaded 50 rounds of 45-70. I used a Lee Crimp die on my MEC to close up the flaring on the cases. I really didn't need a crimp because these will be fired in my 1886 Springfield Trapdoor Cadet Rifle. I used 33 grs of 4198 under a 405 grain cast bullet.

I have 100 45 LC that need to be loaded. That will be my next project on my presses.

Working on 30-06 for an M1. The brass has a 43 head stamp so I'm checking them real good.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Working on 30-06 for an M1. The brass has a 43 head stamp so I'm checking them real good.
    What's your bullet / powder combo?

I recently duplicated some M2 ball with A2495; 48.5gr got me 2675fps, an ES of 15.7, and a SD of 5.2. This was out of a service grade HRA. Accuracy was quite good for ball ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Reloaded the spool on my string trimmer.

YAY! I finally contributed to this thread!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Although I didn't reload today, im.patiently waiting to shut off my tumbler. I have .300 winmags, 7mm mags and .06s tumbling.

The .300s will.get 160 gr Hammer Hunters.
    The 7mm will probly get 140 Noslers bts. And the .06s will.get 180 Barnes TTSXs.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Dauphin County)

I've been experimenting with .45 Super for the last six months or so. I bought a 6" Glock 21 barrel several years ago, not really sure why, and had it tucked away for a rainy day. I was doing some research on .460 Rowland and remembered the barrel I bought. So, I bought an aftermarket Glock 21 extended slide to cover the barrel, a 24lb recoil spring, and changed the striker spring to a 6lb unit.

I test fired the thing with some +p .45ACP rounds and it worked good. It still cycled regular .45acp 230gr hardballs, but you could actually see the slide move in slow motion. Knowing it worked, I pressed on. I found some .45 Super brass (I was looking for .450 SMC, but couldn't find any) and started slowly working my way up the loading chart starting at the max +p loads using HS-6.

Every time, no pressure signs, so I'd keep going up a tenth of a grain, and reload 10 cartridges at a time. Unfortunately, I only have time to shoot on the weekends, so it took a few months of this to work up the load. It was very frustrating, because I didn't know how far I could push this cartridge, and how long it was going to take to get to where I started to see some slightly flat primers or dragged strikers, or even primer flow.

I came across an article that got into the history of the .460 Rowland, .45 Super, and the .450 SMC. It turns out that the .45 Super brass is essentially the same brass as the infamous .460 Rowland, just 1/16th of an inch shorter, and that people were just loading the .45 Super to .460 Rowland specs. Knowing this, I loaded ten cartridges to Rowland specs using HS-6 and my polymer coated cast lead bullets- jumping a whole grain and a half.

This saved me months, as the loads shot well, with minimal pressure signs. I then loaded fifty more and had a high old time shooting them to see what kind of reliability I was going to get and if it was accurate enough to continue to use this projectile. I chroney'd them and was getting an average of 1200 fps for my 200gr loads. Minimal pressure signs, and a lead free barrel!

I was hoping for a little bit more than 1200 fps, but I think that HS-6 burns a bit too fast for the 6 inch barrel. A slower powder may get me more velocity.

My only problem was I was starting to encounter failure to feed because the slide is now starting to overrun the magazine springs. Well, there's a cure for that, and I got three extra power springs in the mail this week and changed them out. I'll check the results this weekend, but there is a noticeable difference when loading them- I can barely insert a magazine and get it to lock in place with 13 rounds. I'm only going to load them to 12 from here on out.

My next quandary, is that I'm almost out of HS-6. I do have some Power Pistol, but I like to reserve that for my .357 SIG and .380 ACP loads. It's hard to get, and I paid $75 for the last pound of it. I was told to not bother to even try to get HS-6 for the foreseeable future. I checked my powder stores, and I have a bit of Blue Dot...

After checking the loading charts, it seems that Blue Dot may be what I was looking for- more grains, more case fill, and higher velocity. I'm going to load 10 up today starting at 10% under the published load and work them up again.

I really like shooting the .45 Super- it definitely has more bark to it than regular old .45 ACP, but not really any more recoil. The 200gr polymer coated .451 diameter bullets from Bayou Bullets are super clean, even at the magnum velocities. Even with some of the polymer scraped off the sides during loading, I still have a lead free barrel. I can't recommend them enough!

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post

My next quandary, is that I'm almost out of HS-6. I do have some Power Pistol, but I like to reserve that for my .357 SIG and .380 ACP loads. It's hard to get, and I paid $75 for the last pound of it. I was told to not bother to even try to get HS-6 for the foreseeable future. I checked my powder stores, and I have a bit of Blue Dot...
    Take a drive to Lebanon and visit Shydas, they show both 8lb and 1lb HS-6 in stock

https://shydasoutdoorcenter.com/sear...query_adv=HS-6

(I've talked to the guy in the reloading center of Shydas since it's a haul for me to drive there to find out something isn't in stock. He said he can verify and actually pull product that you want for 24hr hold if you ask and say that you're on the way..)
    SigGendered

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast