Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: What did you reload today?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    These loads look fine and I don't think you will blow up. I personally wouldn't go much higher with Bullseye since it is not a good powder for hot loads. Use Bullseye for target loads and slower powders for full power.

You do realize you started out loading the hardest pistol load possible. Trying to load uncoated cast bullets in a 9mm is challenging for even the most experienced handloader. The high pressures and shallow rifling on most 9mm's can lead a barrel badly once you reach pressures high enough to stabilize the bullet and cycle the slide. I have only had success with powders much slower than you used like HS-7 / w571. Even then the loads are dirty with unburnt powder but I can shoot a few hundred with minimal leading. I am not saying your pistol will have a problem but keep a close eye out for excessive leading and don't shoot a hot jacketed bullet after a lot of lead rounds without checking.
    As long as it takes me to get through the 900 lead rounds, I'll actually clean those guns after every range trip. I normally don't.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Not sure what small mag primers went for pre insanity, but $40/$1000 is about all I would consider for small pistol,rifle, etc. considering they could be had around $30-$35 shipped with shipping or hazmat one year ago.
    Can I borrow your time machine?

(Chester County)

Loading 38 special for the first time. Unique powder and Hornady 158gr SWCHP bullets to duplicate the former FBI load before the 10mm/40 craze. Starting low at around 800fps with them maxed out around 950fps later on. I can crank out 45acp pretty fast if I need them. Dies are already tuned in and I have thousands of everything in 45acp and some fresh Unique powder from Mid South Supply. My favorite load I made so far with 45acp is a Speer 200gr JHP which used to be called "the flying ashtray". They even fed through my 1911's and was getting 950fps on average out of them. Luckily none of my cases for 45acp came with small pistol primer pockets.

.223 will take a little time setting up but nothing too difficult. Every AR I've ever owned likes the 223 reloads I do like they were made for it. Pretty crazy huh? Anyone have any problems with their 556 dies?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    .223 will take a little time setting up but nothing too difficult. Every AR I've ever owned likes the 223 reloads I do like they were made for it. Pretty crazy huh? Anyone have any problems with their 556 dies?
    I use the Dillion carbide set which set me back about $165 but they're worth every penny to me. They're really sailor proof.
    NRA Life Member

north central keystoner land, Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I bought a brick of small rifle and brick of small pistol primers last week for $45 each. I wasn't happy about paying that much, but it was either that, or start digging into my stash.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Loading 38 special for the first time. Unique powder and Hornady 158gr SWCHP bullets to duplicate the former FBI load before the 10mm/40 craze. Starting low at around 800fps with them maxed out around 950fps later on. I can crank out 45acp pretty fast if I need them. Dies are already tuned in and I have thousands of everything in 45acp and some fresh Unique powder from Mid South Supply. My favorite load I made so far with 45acp is a Speer 200gr JHP which used to be called "the flying ashtray". They even fed through my 1911's and was getting 950fps on average out of them. Luckily none of my cases for 45acp came with small pistol primer pockets.

you should try 700x for pistols. I use 700x on 38 spl, 44 mag and 45 acp. it works great, people still have it in stock and you don't need much which makes it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Or just wait.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I use the Dillion carbide set which set me back about $165 but they're worth every penny to me. They're really sailor proof.
    I have the Redding dies for 223 and 45acp. I was gifted Lyman 38/357 dies by a coworker that bought them at an estate sale. I have Lee dies for 30 carbine and 45/70 govt.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I have the same dies and they have been 100% for me. I also have the 308 dues. Not cheap but the price doesn't matter after a few months and they will last forever.

They are made for commercial loaders on automated presses

(Allegheny County)

I revisited my 45 super project. I began developing some loads last spring and it got back burnered.

I have a S&W 4506 that can handle the additional pressure. I have a new heavier firing pin spring (supposed to eliminate firing pin drag on the brass) and a slightly heavier recoil spring.

I had a 200 grain, powder coated, homecast bullet up to 1200 fps with Longshot powder. Not bad for a 45.

Going to try some different powders and see where I end up.

(Butler County)

OK, here's the results:

The magnum primers with the minimum load didn't even cycle my slide - I had 3 of 5 shots stovepipe. Velocity was 1055 FPS, just 2% higher than Speer's listed velocity of 1037 FPS (Speer used a test gun with a 4" barrel, mine was 5.2")

The rounds with the medium loads were essentially the same. 1109 FPS for the magnum primer vs 1111 standard - within 0.2%. The range and standard deviation were also the same.

That's with Bullseye. The results might vary with another powder. But Neill and I both plan to use Bullseye for our 9mm, so I consider these primers to be a drop-in replacement.

So I bought the 7,000 primers. The guy had some other stuff for sale, and he sold me a carton full of self-defense ammo, 21 boxes, for $100. Mostly Hydra-Shoks and Black Talons. Half of it is 10mm, I guess I need to buy another gun now.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast