Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default another BeoFang post

Not to muddy up one of the other post or to get lost in it I ask.....

I'm very late to the show..but looking at getting a few BeoFang raidos .. I see many post on the subject but still very unsure what to get..( and most everything is out of stock).. What models would you recommend ? I'm new to this and have no clue.. what do all the different numbers mean to me??
    like ..(BF-F8+2nd gen Uv-5r dual band 136-174/400-520MHz FM HAM TWO WAY radio )

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: another BeoFang post

I personally have a set of the UV-82HP just in case I need the extra transmitting power. Of course I don't know a thing about programming the damn thing so that's probably a moot point.
    F*#K THE ATF

(York County)

I have one of the more original UV-5Rs, but if you can spare the few extra (10) bucks I would say its worth it to get a UV-82HP or better yet the UV-9R, the waterproof(ish) ones have a better connection point for a lapel mic if you are going to go that route. I am going to get one of the UV-9Rs to replace mine because of the better attachment for the lapel mic. It is way more rugged and I found that I was constantly having to mess with my UV-5R when it was in my plate carrier to ensure the lapel mic was plugged in right.

(Philadelphia County)

Get a dual band model. Extra power (8 watts) won't really make much difference in performance, will drain the battery faster. Stay away from DMR. It's complicated and only useful if there are DMR repeaters near you.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Bucks County)

Anybody have experience programming a UV-5R or UV-9R using CHIRP freeware on a Mac? macOS Big Sur v11.0.1 to be specific. Thanks.

(Lackawanna County)

Both will program up just fine.

Get your radio from B-tech (https://baofengtech.com/) to be sure to get a real one...just be aware that supplies on most real Baofengs are very short right now, and that the only places that have them right now are mainly the counterfeits.

Personally, I'd drop the few extra dollars and buy a Yaesu FT65R or an FT4XR, both in the $70 neighborhood.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Is it legal to straight up buy a Baofeng from Amazon even after the whole episode with the FCC?
    "May the odds be ever in America's favor"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by UTM View Post
    Anybody have experience programming a UV-5R or UV-9R using CHIRP freeware on a Mac? macOS Big Sur v11.0.1 to be specific. Thanks.
    The UV-5R is a good radio and I only got CHIRP to work on a Windows 7 PC. I was able to communicate in a heavily urban area while in a car to another UV-5R that was in a house at a miles distance. Note that I could tell that this was about the max range in that environment. Both radios also had NA771 antenna, not the standard antenna they come with.

I hope this helps.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4191775 View Post
    The UV-5R is a good radio and I only got CHIRP to work on a Windows 7 PC. I was able to communicate in a heavily urban area while in a car to another UV-5R that was in a house at a miles distance. Note that I could tell that this was about the max range in that environment. Both radios also had NA771 antenna, not the standard antenna they come with.

I hope this helps.
    I've used it on a Win10 machine. It's been a bit, but if I recall, the process is a little non-intuitive....something like you have to download the radio first, then create a default set, then copy/paste any changes to upload, or something like that.

It's more complicated that exchanging data with handheld gps devices.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCan99 View Post
    Is it legal to straight up buy a Baofeng from Amazon even after the whole episode with the FCC?
    hate saying it, but it's a loaded question. It does depend on radio type (some have been banned) but for the most part, YES, it is legal to buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast