Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default another BeoFang post

Not to muddy up one of the other post or to get lost in it I ask.....

I'm very late to the show..but looking at getting a few BeoFang raidos .. I see many post on the subject but still very unsure what to get..( and most everything is out of stock).. What models would you recommend ? I'm new to this and have no clue.. what do all the different numbers mean to me??
    like ..(BF-F8+2nd gen Uv-5r dual band 136-174/400-520MHz FM HAM TWO WAY radio )
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: another BeoFang post

I personally have a set of the UV-82HP just in case I need the extra transmitting power. Of course I don't know a thing about programming the damn thing so that's probably a moot point.
    F*#K THE ATF

(York County)

I have one of the more original UV-5Rs, but if you can spare the few extra (10) bucks I would say its worth it to get a UV-82HP or better yet the UV-9R, the waterproof(ish) ones have a better connection point for a lapel mic if you are going to go that route. I am going to get one of the UV-9Rs to replace mine because of the better attachment for the lapel mic. It is way more rugged and I found that I was constantly having to mess with my UV-5R when it was in my plate carrier to ensure the lapel mic was plugged in right.

(Philadelphia County)

Get a dual band model. Extra power (8 watts) won't really make much difference in performance, will drain the battery faster. Stay away from DMR. It's complicated and only useful if there are DMR repeaters near you.
    Wheaties aren't made out of the same stuff today as they were 40 years ago.