Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: MaryJane card

(Berks County)

Default Re: MaryJane card

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Don't feel bad. I started this friggin thread and no one answered, or knows the answer to my question.
    I don't have an absolute answer but I know that I wouldn't test the situation.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    https://www.wesa.fm/post/wolf-we-won...users#stream/0

Wolf: *We Won't Take Guns Away* From Medical Marijuana Users
    By KEVIN GAVIN * JAN 3, 2018
    Tweet
    Email
    In this Monday, Nov. 6, 2017, photo, a syringe loaded with a dose of CBD oil is shown in a research laboratory at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colo.
    In this Monday, Nov. 6, 2017, photo, a syringe loaded with a dose of CBD oil is shown in a research laboratory at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colo.
    DAVID ZALUBOWSKI / AP
    Listen Listening...
    0:00
    Gov. Wolf tells WESA's Kevin Gavin Pennsylvanians should not have to choose between owning guns and receiving medical marijuana.
    More than 10,000 Pennsylvanians have registered so far to receive a medical marijuana card.

But they are finding out that they can*t receive medical cannabis and still be able to legally purchase a firearm. That*s because under federal law all types of marijuana, including medical cannabis, are prohibited.

The people who signed up to receive medical marijuana will be on a registry that licensed gun dealers will have to reference as part of the background check process before selling a weapon.

*People should not have to make that choice,* said Gov. Tom Wolf, who acknowledged gun sale regulations are a *federal thing.* The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regulates the sale of firearms.

The agency*s Form 4473 for firearms purchases asks:

*Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?*

Then the form contains a warning:

*The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.*

Gun rights advocates received a legal setback in September 2016 when the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the federal ban on the sale of guns to medical marijuana card holders does not violate the Second Amendment. That ruling applies to the nine states in the court*s jurisdiction.

Twenty-nine states and Washington, D.C. have legalized some form of marijuana.

*The federal government needs to do the right thing here,* Wolf said.

According to the governor, the Pennsylvania State Police do not advise that if people receive medical marijuana they get rid of their guns. However, if they have questions about gun ownership and applying for medical marijuana, they should consult with their attorneys.

The one thing Wolf was clear on is that the state will not be seeking out those who already own guns.

*We*re not going to take their guns away," Wolf said.
    And we are supposed to believe that pos ?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    And we are supposed to believe that pos ?
    Nope, not me, no chance I trust any of them... But it does put him in an awkward position if he did start prosecuting cardholders with firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    Nope, not me, no chance I trust any of them... But it does put him in an awkward position if he did start prosecuting cardholders with firearms.
    Awkward position? You really think he gives a shit what happens to people
    that break the law? Look what happened to all the people involved with this
    'fraud election. Knowing that lying pos, he put that statement out just to lure people
    into buying guns so they'll get arrested and their guns taken away.

(Delaware County)

If an individual has a legit pot card, can he turn it in and reacquire his gun rights?
    OK, my bad. My question should have been more specific. I was asking about the FEDERAL prohibition acquired (via 4473) by having one of these cards issued to you. If you learn this after the fact, can you return the card and then be able to answer NO to the 4473 drug question? If so, how do you make the card go away? Thanks, all.

Bob D

(Montgomery County)

'fraud election. Knowing that lying pos, he put that statement out just to lure people
    Good point, he has certainly proved he is capable of this.

(Jefferson County)

This entire prohibition on firearms to those who use MJ is a violation of the 5th Amendment. Unless they had some prior prohibiting conviction, they didn't lose their 2A rights via Due Process.

Not sure why the courts have not made that connection yet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

If an individual has a legit pot card, can he turn it in and reacquire his gun rights?
    Don't feel bad. I started this friggin thread and no one answered, or knows the answer to my question.
    I have heard a prominent firearms attorney (not in PA) state that the prevailing notion (NOT codified anywhere) is that one year after expiration or forfeiture is a suitable time for the government to accept an assertion that a potential purchaser is no longer considered an illegal user.

That's probably as good of an answer as you're going to get.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

Knight0334, gnbrotz, thank you. That IS the answer as of today. I'm sure someone brave soul will have to go through the process and have the courts decide what the "correct" answer is.

Bob D

(Dauphin County)

Wolf will have to re-think his prior statement. Who knows what kind of insurrectionist rampage a right-wing terrorist high on pot would go on.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678