Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCA Bolts?

(Montgomery County)

Default BCA Bolts?

Just finished a fun AR pistol build and I was checking function with snap caps and every so often I got a failure to extract leaving a cartridge in the chamber and slamming another one into the back of it. It’s a Rainer arms barrel and I made the mistake of trying a budget BCG and went with bear creek as the title suggests because it seems to have great reviews. I’ve thrown together AR’s but I’m no expert by any means. I should have had headspace gauges but I didn’t so I just ordered them. I’ve read it’s quite rare to have headspace issues (or so it’s seemed) in an AR. Was curious if anyone’s used BCA bolts before? I feel like this may be more of an extractor issue as it seems to function fine (again only manually cycling for function check) I’d say 85-90% of the time. But I’m not sure and I’m a little confused on where to go here. Potentially considering handing it off to a smith to look at before I hurt myself lol. Any thoughts on the issue or the bolt itself from experience?

Default Re: BCA Bolts?

If you have another bolt try ot to see if the issue persists. Check the bolt face to make sure they didnt send you a 7.62 bolt on accident,and measure the extractor isn't broke (bca had a bad batch of extractors) you could change the extractor spring and o ring to see if it helps.

(Huntingdon County)

Contact BCA. I had a issue with a barrel I bought from them. They sent me a new one for free. Good customer service.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(York County)

Did you check the chamber for tightness with some loose rounds? Maybe it wasn*t sized properly, or maybe you snap caps are a bit oversized too. I would check the extractor first though, as noted above. Break it down and be sure that it can move freely.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrentJennings View Post
    Just finished a fun AR pistol build and I was checking function with snap caps and every so often I got a failure to extract leaving a cartridge in the chamber and slamming another one into the back of it. It*s a Rainer arms barrel and I made the mistake of trying a budget BCG and went with bear creek as the title suggests because it seems to have great reviews. I*ve thrown together AR*s but I*m no expert by any means. I should have had headspace gauges but I didn*t so I just ordered them. I*ve read it*s quite rare to have headspace issues (or so it*s seemed) in an AR. Was curious if anyone*s used BCA bolts before? I feel like this may be more of an extractor issue as it seems to function fine (again only manually cycling for function check) I*d say 85-90% of the time. But I*m not sure and I*m a little confused on where to go here. Potentially considering handing it off to a smith to look at before I hurt myself lol. Any thoughts on the issue or the bolt itself from experience?
    Try putting a donut on the extractor spring or using an extra power extractor. You should already have both of those in your spare parts kit, no?

-Zach

(Lackawanna County)

Honestly it’s a low end manufacturer with dozens upon dozens of reports of bad quality.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    If you have another bolt try ot to see if the issue persists. Check the bolt face to make sure they didnt send you a 7.62 bolt on accident,and measure the extractor isn't broke (bca had a bad batch of extractors) you could change the extractor spring and o ring to see if it helps.
    That's actually good to know, thank you. I bought it from a very like random online store front which I've never heard of so I wouldn't be surprised if they had old stock and maybe still had the bad extractor batch. I think proactively I'll order a new extractor kit, like the BCM one and just swap it out anyway. Definitely not a 7.62 though

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Try putting a donut on the extractor spring or using an extra power extractor. You should already have both of those in your spare parts kit, no?

-Zach
    I'm stupid so I don't have spare parts yet lol. When I order another $4 extractor I'll prob order double of nearly everything else to make the order worth it lol.

(Bucks County)

Did you just try and test with snap caps? Take it to the range and put some live ammo thru it to see if there is a problem.

(Montgomery County)

I'd personally just shoot the damn thing, and check it after each shot.

It's a new build, still has some roughness and tension till everything settles in together. Since 9 out of 10 just playing around with snap caps is fine, it could even be a snap cap issue.
    You could pull the firing pin out of the bolt and try clambering real(or dummies brass) ammunition as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast