Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default I Love 1911's but i just cant carry one.

1911's are an age old symbol of firearms. They are, rather can be through customization, in my opinion, become some of the most beautiful looking guns made. I would really love to own one some day, I guess it would be considered what you folks around here call a "Safe Queen". Why do you ask would I not carry my 1911? Well because I carry a XD and I can't jump down from 17 rounds to 8 when carrying. Now before some of you jump on my back flailing arms like a raging mountain gorilla, growling and yelling about how its all about shot placement and 17 rounds is not necessary for someone who trains. I understand shot placement, I respect it, and I train weekly to make sure I am able to achieve shot placement god forbid I'm ever forced into that situation. That being said, many of us here often drop the line "If SHTF" etc, and under that premise of always being prepared as most responsible gun owners/carriers are, then 17 rounds seems superior to me in such a situation. This is what stops me from carrying a 1911. There are other advantages to carrying a polymer pistol, some might consider significant, but those differences are not whats in question here. So if there is to be debate, its solely upon ammo capacity, thankyou. Thoughts?

(Chester County)

Default Re: I Love 1911's but i just cant carry one.

I don't carry a traditional 1911, but I carry a smaller EMP 1911. Byfar my favorite gun. I get 9+1 in a very small frame. If the SHTF I really don't think it's going to make a difference if you have 17 or 10 rounds of 9mm just my opinion.

(Chester County)

Good leather and a double mag pouch takes care of that minor inconvenience for me. If I need more than 22 rounds, I figure I am under and out gunned to begin with and should be looking for a way out.

Based solely on capacity---- 2011.

I personally carry a 1911; 9 rounds in gun, 2 spare 8 round mags on my belt. That makes 25 rounds of .45acp. I've been known to spend hours a day practicing nothing but mag changes.

A 2011 with a flush fit mag(126mm IIRC) would bump the in gun capacity to around 13, plus 12 rounds for every additional mag. And that is in .45. In .40 it would be 14 per mag, and in 9mm it would jump to around 17 per mag.

A 2011 is on my short list.

(Tioga County)

I carried a 1911 for years. I now carry in XD in .45ACP. It was not about rounds the XD fits my hand better.
    As a Marine once said, " If you can't get it done with 7 from a 45, you don't need more ammo, you need air support."

(Lehigh County)

Sounds like you need to discover the doublestack 1911.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not a proponent of high capacity magazines because the survivability potential of encountering multiple threats whereby the benefit of 17 rounds would prove useful is unrealistic.

In spite of what we think of our abilities, we're never going to match the prowess of the Clint Eastwood western movie character(s).

IMO, the best reason not to own a 1911 is that it is not repairable or even "tweak-able" by the average "end user".

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If I need more than 22 rounds, I figure I am under and out gunned to begin with and should be looking for a way out.
    I understand that train of thought, but when I say SHTF it could mean anything since SHTF covers an infinant list of scenarios. I mean say for instance you're boxed up somewhere holding out waiting for the police to arrive, out here that could mean a pretty long time, and 9 rounds wouldnt cover my ass for that long. I mean any number of situations where escape is not an option, vs multiple attackers, you must fight your way out, or be able to hold them off till law enforcement arrives, with the number of rounds you have on your person being the life saving factor. 2 of my mags is 4 or 5 1911 mags. Also being able to maintain fighting capacity for longer periods using a polymer without having to reload as often as a 1911.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I understand that train of thought, but when I say SHTF it could mean anything since SHTF covers an infinant list of scenarios. I mean say for instance you're boxed up somewhere holding out waiting for the police to arrive, out here that could mean a pretty long time, and 9 rounds wouldnt cover my ass for that long. I mean any number of situations where escape is not an option, vs multiple attackers, you must fight your way out, or be able to hold them off till law enforcement arrives, with the number of rounds you have on your person being the life saving factor. 2 of my mags is 4 or 5 1911 mags. Also being able to maintain fighting capacity for longer periods using a polymer without having to reload as often as a 1911.

There is no doubt that capacity is certainly a issue when you are using the wrong weapon and having to make do.

In a situation you described you would have to work quickly to create a defensive funnel and use your shots selectively and pray for the best. 22 round should be enough for 3-5 meth heads use them wisely. FTR I only would have 22 because I don't trust loading 8 in my mags which is just a personal preference.

(Monroe County)

If you love 1911's but cant carry one... Carry two!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast