Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Budget Fire Rated Safes?

I've run out of space in my current safe and have been considering a new one. I need to be able to ACTUALLY fit like 8-12 guns in it. The one i have now is an 8 gun and fitting 8 in it you can barely close the door I don't know where they make these numbers up at. Anyway, my budget permits like 700-800 MAX at the moment. I was looking at the Winchester 26 gun from tractor supply or the Liberty Centurion. I would just buckle up and finance a large one but I don't plan to be in this house forever and don't want to be burdened with moving a 900lb safe across the county in 6 years. Anyone have any opinions on these or anything different? Looking for a fire rated one for piece of mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Budget Fire Rated Safes?

Hand guns or rifles?
    Ive found old safes for $100 or $200 which were fire proof and very strong, The older safes from the early 1900ds are great!
    I like the tractor supply safes as well,
    DO you need a safe in case someone enters your home or to keep kids out?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Hand guns or rifles?
    Ive found old safes for $100 or $200 which were fire proof and very strong, The older safes from the early 1900ds are great!
    I like the tractor supply safes as well,
    DO you need a safe in case someone enters your home or to keep kids out?
    For rifles, Funny you say that though! I saw they had a sale and I had a coupon and was able to get a winchester for a little over 300. I researched them quite a bit and knew what I was getting. Drove out there with my son today and was actually surprised at the quality for the price. I know the Winchester ones they have are made in china, but compared to the tin foil bullshit I was using this is light years better. I was looking at the Liberty Centurion series but they have a 20 week lead time right now lol.

Mainly wanted some type of fire protection even if it wasnt the most ideal, this one was 30mins 1400 degrees and I want to keep curious younger kids out. The one I had before this I probably could have opened with a screw driver. Also to protect from the lazy thief. If someone really wants to steal my collection they're going to get it one way or another if I'm not here and they have 15 minutes with most sub $2k safes. I was going to keep my eyes out for a used more robust one and maybe move this into the garage and use it for parts and ammo storage if I come across one.

I wouldn't get too uptight about fire rating. Unless you have very expensive firearms. My Homeowners policy will cover loss from fire to include firearms like any other item lost in a fire. Just need tio be sure you have enough coverage for loss.

And based on a thread regarding Winchester safes with electronic keypads I would avoid completely unless it has a key override.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I wouldn't get too uptight about fire rating. Unless you have very expensive firearms. My Homeowners policy will cover loss from fire to include firearms like any other item lost in a fire. Just need tio be sure you have enough coverage for loss.

And based on a thread regarding Winchester safes with electronic keypads I would avoid completely unless it has a key override.
    That's true, I guess I should add a floater to mine or something. Either way though losing a handful of AR's I feel like good luck finding ones to buy in the next 4 years to replace them in this climate lol.

This one does have the key override and the updated keypad, they apparently revised it some time in the last 2 years from what I was told.

(Northumberland County)

Despite the ongoing issues with Facebook, check Facebook marketplace. Dollar for dollar the best place I know of. I could've had a few $1000-1500 safes for $500 or less, if I hadn't bought one already. People dont wanna move them so they often sell cheap. For cheap and new, TSC, Dunhams and Costco are probably the better options in my mind. But as you noted, the cheap ones will be cheap for a reason

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Despite the ongoing issues with Facebook, check Facebook marketplace. Dollar for dollar the best place I know of. I could've had a few $1000-1500 safes for $500 or less, if I hadn't bought one already. People dont wanna move them so they often sell cheap. For cheap and new, TSC, Dunhams and Costco are probably the better options in my mind. But as you noted, the cheap ones will be cheap for a reason
    Lol I tried to sell a fuel surge tank for a car on there and they kept flagging it as a damn explosive. Thats a solid idea tho I'll keep my eyes out there. This winchester I got I see theres a better lock available to upgrade from the one on there, I'm going to give that a shot proactively I think.

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

The electronic locks on the TSC Winchester safes can be replaced easily with a much higher quality lock for less than $100. There is an entire sticky thread at the top of the General Forum here...

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=277049

https://mbausa.com/ has the replacement locks and knows what you will need. Very Helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentJennings View Post
    That's true, I guess I should add a floater to mine or something. Either way though losing a handful of AR's I feel like good luck finding ones to buy in the next 4 years to replace them in this climate lol.

This one does have the key override and the updated keypad, they apparently revised it some time in the last 2 years from what I was told.
    Meh, I'm willing to bet that the salvageable parts will be useable under most circumstances. The plastic won't make it regardless.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Liberty Centurions are good to go IMO....