Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choosing a LP gas block for ar10 - pinned vs set screws?

Collecting parts for a build, and looking at gas blocks and tubes.

The build im looking at calls for a .750 gas block and mid length tube (18” ER Shaw 4150V barrel). I’m looking for durability and reliability over anything else. Gas tube I’ve settled on a Tacfire mid length.

I keep seeing different style steel gas blocks. Some have roll pin, some have two set screws. Which is the better option?

I’m leaning towards the one with 2 set screws, just because I don’t trust roll pins (I’d assume they would need to be permanently staked?)...

FWIW, it’ll be used under a free float rail...
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; January 7th, 2021 at 07:44 AM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Choosing a LP gas block for ar10 - pinned vs set screws?

The roll pin does not have to be staked due to its design, you do however have to cut/notch a slot in the barrel so the roll pin can do its job of holding the gas block in the correct postion. In my experience, people who build their own rifles have a tendency to want to do other things to it in the future and using a gas block with set screws makes it a lot easier to take off and put on.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Cutting the notch in a barrel to accommodate a roll pin calls for accurate work and jigs and tools a lot of people cannot perform. The set screws achieve the desired results a lot easier. You have already made the correct choice. Next, choose the right LocTite.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

I’ve used both since good barrels often come with the roll pin notch cut in it. The last build I did I used a mid west industry low profile mount that has 3 set screws. They also included the lock tight they recommend using. It’s defiantly not moving or coming off easy especially with the barrel dimpled.

(Allegheny County)

I have both clamp-on style gas blocks and set screw type.
    Dimpling the barrel is preferred for set screws as a means of giving the screw some place to "hold" the barrel better, but I've never dimpled any.

If I were using a gun for combat, or competitive shooting, I would go the extra mile, but I'm not that concerned with any of mine coming loose.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Thanks guys I’m not sure if the barrel is dimpled for the set screws or not but if need be I can take it to randy at the handgunner

(Allegheny County)

Putting a dimple in should be pretty simple.
    I know there are jigs to do it - one gas block manufacturer sells a gas block that is designed AS a jig - not a gas block - to get the dimple lined up perfectly.

Pinning seems more tricky. I think. It's been a while since I looked into either method.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Pretty sure it won’t cost me much to have him do it...may have him install the gas block while he’s at it 🤷🏼*♂️

Whatever happens, it’ll be a permanent fixture. I don’t intend on doing anything with this rifle once it’s finished, unless I buy another barrel setup to swap (and with that I can just buy another gas block/tube anyhow...think 20”/24” rifle length)

(Lancaster County)

Either way, you may want to look into an adjustable block. My AR 10 was severely overgassed as I hear many non 20" AR 10's are and would eject brass into the next county, I installed the ODIN works adjustable block and my brass gets littered in a neat pile at my 4 O'clock and not badly dinged up for reloading

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Either way, you may want to look into an adjustable block. My AR 10 was severely overgassed as I hear many non 20" AR 10's are and would eject brass into the next county, I installed the ODIN works adjustable block and my brass gets littered in a neat pile at my 4 O'clock and not badly dinged up for reloading
    Considered that also...from what I gather the adjustable will give me the most Load versatility.

Now if I can just get rid of all my 270Win stuff to fund the build...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast