Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Choosing a LP gas block for ar10 - pinned vs set screws?

I only have two with adjustable gas blocks - a 7.62x39 which most people comment that it shoots softer than they expected and a 5.56 I built for my wife as a lightweight gun. It feels like shooting a .22LR thanks to that adjustable gas block and a few other parts chosen.
    Not a bad idea.

EDIT: the one on my wife's gun is a Superlative Arms. They have a good reputation and are easily adjusted with positive "clicks" for each setting.
    https://suparms.com/collections/adju...ct-impingement
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I only have two with adjustable gas blocks - a 7.62x39 which most people comment that it shoots softer than they expected and a 5.56 I built for my wife as a lightweight gun. It feels like shooting a .22LR thanks to that adjustable gas block and a few other parts chosen.
    Not a bad idea.

EDIT: the one on my wife's gun is a Superlative Arms. They have a good reputation and are easily adjusted with positive "clicks" for each setting.
    https://suparms.com/collections/adju...ct-impingement
    Definitely sold then if it’s going to cut down in recoil. Since the surgery I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle heavy recoil going forward, Shame since I love my 270, but it’s such a light rifle that it knocks me around too much.

At least with the ar10 it’s a full power caliber but heavier rifle. Adding the adjustable gas block and bei Nd able to dial in the recoil will be even better.

Now if PA can get on the ball and legalize them for hunting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Definitely sold then if it*s going to cut down in recoil. Since the surgery I*m not sure I*ll be able to handle heavy recoil going forward, Shame since I love my 270, but it*s such a light rifle that it knocks me around too much.

At least with the ar10 it*s a full power caliber but heavier rifle. Adding the adjustable gas block and bei Nd able to dial in the recoil will be even better.

A muzzle brake is another factor in recoil reduction. I have brakes on both of those guns.

In her rifle, I also used an interesting Taccom lightweight buffer which seems to help as well.
    I don't know what's available in regards to recoil management for 308 though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Definitely sold then if it*s going to cut down in recoil. Since the surgery I*m not sure I*ll be able to handle heavy recoil going forward, Shame since I love my 270, but it*s such a light rifle that it knocks me around too much.

At least with the ar10 it*s a full power caliber but heavier rifle. Adding the adjustable gas block and bei Nd able to dial in the recoil will be even better.

I am with you Woodwanderer, Had Rotator Cuff surgery in September and added an AR15 and a very nice Winchester M70 .308 to the heard, haven't shot either yet. With this #4 surgery on the right arm in 8 years Im a but reluctant to touch off a center fire anytime soon. After surgery #3 I sold my 12 ga slug guns and got a .410 for pests and ground hogs...sucks getting old

A heaver buffer will help dampen recoil too , try ODIN adjustable AR 10 Buffer, with the adjustable gas block things improved considerably
    https://www.odinworks.com/Adjustable...r_p/os-abs.htm

Thanks Sarge I’m itching to get out and shoot but I’m the same boat. Not sure I’m ready to light up a centerfire just yet (maybe the 9mm carbine with fmj...). Hesitate a bit to even take the 10/22 out just because sitting hunched over at a bench rest is gonna be difficult.

Haven’t shot a 308 AR in probably 20+ years...from what I recall though they weren’t much more punishing than my 30/30 model 94... then again I was a youngin that didn’t care much about recoil and the more the better 😂

Planning to install a birdcage A2 style compensator, unless anyone can recommend something better?

Ended up going with a Yankee lo-pro gas block with set screws and a CMMG stainless steel mid length tube. A2 style bird cage compensator. 18” ER Shaw 1-10” 4150V park’d barrel.

BCG is a park’d LJ’s AR parts DPMS compatible setup (mil spec).

Rest of the stuff for the build will Come as a kit from CDNN and I’ll probably break it down to trade for different furniture (longer handguard/adjustable stock/pistol grip in black/ODG/FDE). Maybe sell the stripped lower and buy an 80% to replace it
    Last edited by HanzMcFeely; January 22nd, 2021 at 06:47 PM.

(Carbon County)

The reason you "Dimple" or spot for the setscrews is so you can get the gas block off again with out marring it up. Barrels are relatively soft compared to the average set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    The reason you "Dimple" or spot for the setscrews is so you can get the gas block off again with out marring it up. Barrels are relatively soft compared to the average set screw.
    That’ll be good then in case I decide to do an adjustable block later on. The Odin buffer that was recommended looks like a good upgrade too over factory one in the kit.

Since it’s first time build I want to shoot it in stock form first and get the bugs worked out before I start altering things

Side note, this is an addicting hobby and I’m officially hooked. It’s like playing a game of adult legos 🤣 LEGO’s that go bang!

Anyone know where I can find a suparms.750 adjustable block in stock? EM? I’m looking at you brother 😋

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12