Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Cool CHEAP improvement to a 10/22 charging handle

The "charging handle" on the Ruger 10/22 is a pretty small hook-shaped projection by which one draws back the bolt. It is an assembly that incorporates the recoil spring and guide rod. Its small size has bugged me for a while now. It works, but needs to be better.

When installed onto/into a notch on the bolt, it serves a second purpose of limiting vertical* movement of the firing pin. Some install a cross pin to stop the rise of the pin. Some smack a BB into the channel to limit its upward movement.

I consider the vertically loose firing pin a non-existing problem. The charging handle fills the relatively wide notch above the firing pin forming a roof. The remaining vertical movement is small. Secondly, the ability to lift the firing pin is a plus when cleaning the bolt and parts. It gives access to the channel under and beside it. I see no point in un-engineering that advantage.*

The aftermarket is loaded with answers to Ruger's diminutive charging handle finger hook, ranging from Chinese no-brand extended handles for 15 bucks to super-duper extended and widened and skeletonized handles made of unobtainium for $50 and more. Aftermarket extended designs are usually just 1/4 inch longer than OEM.

I have resisted the temptation to trim some of the stock in the area beneath the handle, which would give easier access to it.

I had applied a strip of skateboard tape to the hook, adding some leverage to the function. Then....an idea. In a miscellaneous small parts box was a short length of clear plastic tubing 5/16" ID. Cut to appropriate length, and slipped onto the bolt handle, it is round, 1/4" longer than the handle, held from slipping off by the skateboard tape and adds almost zero weight to the reciprocating of the bolt/charging handle assembly and should have no influence on the timing. To finish it off, one wrap of black plastic electricians tape gives it the appearance of a black knob similar to aftermarket offerings.

It has yet to be seen whether the piece of tubing will remain on the handle during live fire. If it doesn't, I can glue it on. Hmmmm....why wait.
    I'm going to glue it now. Tacky glue, not superglue. Want it removable...don't know what I might dream up later.*
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CHEAP improvement to a 10/22 charging handle

I like a gently tapped on 9mm case in Nickle.

(Bucks County)

Thought about that. It's on a list of try-its. Has it worked well?

Just tried it. Didn't work out for me. Back to the tube.
    Last edited by Bang; January 6th, 2021 at 04:19 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Thought about that. It's on a list of try-its. Has it worked well?

Just tried it. Didn't work out for me. Back to the tube.
    Worked well when I was a kid, I think it was 9mm at least.
    I plan on buying an extended on myself, the round knurled style.

Need to find a pmaca takedown chassis first though.

(Bucks County)

I probably will too, eventually. I just plugged the tube with quick-setting JB Weld. It is also grabbing a bit of the hook, so it's a semi-permanent install.

(Bucks County)

Back from the range. The plastic tubing on the charging handle, secured with JB Weld (quick setting) was a pleasure to shoot with, and it held up perfectly. Very happy with it.

(Bucks County)

The next time on the range, the piece of tubing took flight. When I returned home, I cleaned up the bolt hook with acetone and cut back a 10mm shell until it was about 1/4" longer than the hook.

This time I filled the shell with JB Weld (quick setting) and slid it onto the hook, leaving it undisturbed overnight. I covered it with gray shrink tubing. It has held up well for several range trips. Looks and feels good. I think it's gonna last.

(Lehigh County)

I recently "improved" my Ruger 10/22 of all of its foibles. I sold the thing and bought a Thompson/S&W TCR22. A real joy to shoot and maintain and nothing I can find to improve or fix.

(Bucks County)

Maybe not. This guy had some failures.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...r-tcr22/357401

That rifle is so interchangeable with a Ruger 10/22 I think either Ruger's patents ran out or Ruger is actually making the rifle for S&W.

Good luck with the "cures".