Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo shortage

Hybrid View

(Centre County)

Default Ammo shortage

I thought folks might like the below article on the ammunition shortage. Supply issue or Demand issue?

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...hortage/387068
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: Ammo shortage

Some people finally woke up to the arms race against them.

I noticed that a couple places had plenty of 7.62x39 in stock yesterday morning, and today it's all gone or almost all gone. Dark days ahead.

(Montgomery County)

I never even considered this, but it seems reasonable

There are other factors, also. What many ammunition consumers don*t realize is that each firearm manufactured must be function fired and proof tested. That requires ammunition, too. Much of Black Hills* product is dedicated to feeding the firearms industry, we*re told.

*If a gun company can*t test their guns,* Hoffman said, *they can*t ship them. We have an obligation to them and when, all of the sudden, they need two to three times as much ammo as what was planned for, it*s a challenge.*

(Allegheny County)

This quote was telling for me "One of our cartridge-case suppliers pumps out 800,000 loaded rounds of 5.56 a day, and they are backordered until June 2022.* So realistically, even if no new laws and things calm down a bit, it'll likely be sparse for the next 2 years.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    This quote was telling for me "One of our cartridge-case suppliers pumps out 800,000 loaded rounds of 5.56 a day, and they are backordered until June 2022.* So realistically, even if no new laws and things calm down a bit, it'll likely be sparse for the next 2 years.
    I'd say absolutely no doubt about that. I'd expect for it to be years to see any sort of normal pricing or supplies on shelves.

I should have gone in the gun business a few years ago. A friend of mine opened a gun store in Virginia and he's definitely set for retirement.

(Bucks County)

Short sighted. It was Trump's fault. He "egged them on" (Nora O'Donnell, talking head, unquote). When he is gone everything will be Biden-Fixed. These people are good at fixing things. The election was fixed. Court non-reviews were fixed. It'll all get fixed.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I'd say absolutely no doubt about that. I'd expect for it to be years to see any sort of normal pricing or supplies on shelves.

I should have gone in the gun business a few years ago. A friend of mine opened a gun store in Virginia and he's definitely set for retirement.

My expectation is not as bleak. The market forces (albeit distorted by Covid-19) will sooner or later make their presence felt. At least for the international standard calibers, i.e. the 7.62mm, 5.56mm, 9mm NATO rounds, perhaps 7.62mmx39 and .30-06. Those are like commodities, if you are willing to pay there will be supply, from somewhere in the world. Remember in the later part of Obama administration there were all those unfamiliar brands of ammo, imported from countries that you may or may not be able to locate on a map, for sale everywhere? I predict that, given a few months of lead time the old international supply chain will start flowing again. I expect to see brands such as Independence/IWI (Israel), PMC (South Korea), ZQ1 (Turkey), ADI Outback (Australia), Wolf Gold (Taiwan for 55gr FMJ .223, Serbia for other calibers), Armscor (Philippines), RWS (Germany), and Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic) to appear online and in stores /gun shows near you again, for reasonable prices.

But if your favorite caliber is, say, .45/70 Government... Buy yourself reloading equipment and learn to reload, I guess.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    I never even considered this, but it seems reasonable

There are other factors, also. What many ammunition consumers don*t realize is that each firearm manufactured must be function fired and proof tested. That requires ammunition, too. Much of Black Hills* product is dedicated to feeding the firearms industry, we*re told.

*If a gun company can*t test their guns,* Hoffman said, *they can*t ship them. We have an obligation to them and when, all of the sudden, they need two to three times as much ammo as what was planned for, it*s a challenge.*
    Are you aware of how many non functional guns have been sold in recent years? We are the beta testers.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Are you aware of how many non functional guns have been sold in recent years? We are the beta testers.
    Remington is now out of business, but Taurus is still around...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast