Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Remington 700 Series?

I don't think they ever went to crap, unless maybe there was some issues with the very recent production during bankruptcy. The company has certainly been through hard times the last decade or so, and one might assume that quality suffered as a result. If you aren't aware, Remington recently was split up and sold to different companies as a result of bankruptcy. That probably has something to do with it...the uncertainty around warranty and recent quality.

I have one from circa 2014 and it's probably the most accurate rifle that I own. Like others have said, millions of them have been made over the years and there is endless number of aftermarket parts, stocks, barrels, etc... They're probably in the top 5 most popular bolt actions of all time, so there definitely isn't anything wrong with them. I think they've just slowly fallen out of popularity as the new "flavor's of the month" have come around.

They've been making them since 1962. Kinda hard for even Remington to screw the 700's simple design up. The receiver is basically a piece of round bar stock , 4140 chrome-moly or 416L stainless , with a hole and two grooves for the lugs.

The trigger was some kinda of issue a few years ago. Most serious shooters use an aftermarket trigger like a Timney.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Monroe County)

700 in 06 I'm pretty comfortable with, 2014 or so IIRC, Syn stock, redfield scope.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you guys for the insight! I had been wanting to get into longer range shooting, 300-600 yard stuff for a while as the majority of my experience has been in QCB classes and typical 100-150yrd stuff. I was thinking the 700 would be a good entry and it still sounds like it is. But now I'm wondering if the better bet is to wait it out and save for something like a Ruger Precision for example rather than trying to scoop up a used 700 and spend money upgrading it.

(Beaver County)

Depends on what caliber you want to shoot. If you want 300 Win Mag grab a 700. ( or 7mm or any Ultra Mag). If you want 6.5 go Ruger or even a Savage 110. I have access to a 1250 yrd range every weekend. We hold a few PRS shoots a year.

The field of guns is 3 tier at a PRS shoot.

Poor guys have original 700's

Not so poor have RPR (Ruger) with occasional Sendero thrown in.

Rich guys have Masterpiece Chassis guns or all out total custom builds.

It all depends on how accurate you really want to be.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I have access to a 1250 yrd range every weekend. We hold a few PRS shoots a year.
    sorry to go off topic, but can you provide dates/location of the PRS shoots?

Thanks!

(Beaver County)

Sure.

Also check with Spark ammo in Cranberry Twp. I think they have hosted the last 2 or 3 we had.

Our range is on 550 private acres of land. So it's pretty much invite only from the landlord other than when we have a shoot.

Technically if we shoot from mountain top to mountain top we can go 1500 yards.

But the normal range is maxed at 1250.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrentJennings View Post
    I've been told years ago the 700 was a great budget bolt action rifle for more long distance shooting. I was looking to get into longer range shooting, entry level and wanted something sub $1k. It seems like less and less people recommend it anymore, to be honest all I'm hearing is to stay away from them now. Is there a year where they went to shit to something? Any opinions on these things from anyone who has or had one?
    Well, one just popped up in the classifieds

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=369307
    Up for sale is a classic Remington 700 CDL un 30-06
    Manufactured in 1982 this is a true 700, not some mass produced version that's for sale now. Classic styling, deep gloss blue barreled action. Comes with a bushnell banner 1.75-4x scope. Very accurate and with a trigger that breaks like glass. It's in excellent condition for its age. You won't find a nicer 700. Bills force sale. My loss is your gain. These in similar condition are selling for over $900 on GB. Message me for pics

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    Well, one just popped up in the classifieds

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=369307
    I see red flags on that one so proceed with caution. Brand new member posting for sale what someone is looking for and that phrase, "My loss is your gain", is deal breaker for me every time.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Remember , the Remington 700 is the basis for the US Army M24 and Navy/Marine M40 sniper rifles. Good enough for 1000yd/mtr kills , even in 7.62x51 ~ .308 Win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_Sniper_Weapon_System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_rifle
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast