Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hunting packs

Default Hunting packs

Looking to get some recommendations for hunting packs. Currently use a field and stream pack that is nice for a light day pack but would he utterly useless for packing game out. Wanting something in a medium range capable of supporting 1 or 2 overnights in the field if need be plus ability to pack out game, but small enough to be practical for a single day.

I have looked at mystery ranch options and they some good candidates though more then I am looking to spend. Would want to stay around 250-300 dollars roughly.
    Also looking at the eberlestock RMEF M5 pack and this seems to be a solid choice.

I would also use this pack throughout the year for any hiking trips I may take.

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hunting packs

Could you let us know what you carry for a day trip and maybe a longer one. What*s light to one might be heavy for other. I like tents for overnight, others will do a hammock or something lighter.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I use the Eberlestock M5 for hunting and for camping. Longest time I've been out living from that pack has been 3 days (Utah). It's not my lightest pack, but it's definitely the sturdiest. I recommend it, and I'd buy it again.

(Lycoming County)

Might be useful to look at ones with a roll top closure. They can expand quite a bit. I just picked up a granite gear varga 2 and while it won't work for what you're looking for the roll top can expand it from @45 litres all the way to 58. They make a one called the Crown that's rated for heavier loads and is of similar design.
    Last edited by R L Suehr; January 3rd, 2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jdsmoke View Post
    Could you let us know what you carry for a day trip and maybe a longer one. What*s light to one might be heavy for other. I like tents for overnight, others will do a hammock or something lighter.
    A day trip typically has what I need to dress the deer, first aid, lunch, and a few other small items.

An extended range trip, I really have nothing at this time. I figure a lightweight sleeping bag, a shelter(like the idea of a good tarp setup), and maybe something like a jet boil would encompass the big items.

(Carbon County)

I have not bought (Or looked at) a pack in years. My day pack is heavier than most, but I have a lot in it. If you plan on some weight(Game) I suggest getting a pack with a belt type loop around your middle. I used to go in for weeks and had an old North Face with an internal frame and belt around your middle. I had 50#-60# average in the pack. Sounds like a lot, but one time I was hiking Tennessee and it was 70 degrees. Two days later it dumped over a foot of snow. Take enough along. If you have an accident you may need it.