Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Marines Getting Silencers

Combat doesn't always happen on a big open field. More often , we're sending Marines into urban settings. Your ability to hear what's going on around you is very important to yer health , and you don't always have time to don yer hearing protection. Especially going door to door. An M4 or M16 in a confined space isn't a pleasant sound
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Wayne County)

Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, consider this prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Combat doesn't always happen on a big open field. More often , we're sending Marines into urban settings. Your ability to hear what's going on around you is very important to yer health , and you don't always have time to don yer hearing protection. Especially going door to door. An M4 or M16 in a confined space isn't a pleasant sound
    While silencers will make the level lower 5.56 is nowhere near hearing safe even with a silencer and may lead to more Marines never wearing hearing protection because someone told them it's safe.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Hmmmm....this could go either way. Suppressors save hearing finally gets approval for civilians, or, Biden, Schumer and ilk will say this proves suppressors are implements of war.
    As I recall, according to US v. Miller, the 2A only protects implements of war.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    The ability to hear commands are essential for effective operations.
    I did my time in the field artillery, so imagine an AR x 1000. If you wore ear plugs you couldn't hear gun commands, so we would stick our fingers in our ears before (hopefully) the gun fired. I have permanent hearing damage and tinnitus from that experience.
    Suppressors are cheap relatively speaking. I'm surprised this hasn't been done long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    While silencers will make the level lower 5.56 is nowhere near hearing safe even with a silencer and may lead to more Marines never wearing hearing protection because someone told them it's safe.
    You are correct, but there are many situations where hearing protection can put you at greater risk.

On the day that I suffered one of my worst hearing injuries, I was not wearing hearing protection. If I had been wearing hearing protection and not heard the instructions of my team leader, there is a very good chance I would have suffered far more grave consequences.

And this was in a peacetime training exercise.

(Chester County)

One thing about silencers that rarely gets mentioned is their ability to almost completely mask muzzle flash. To me that is just as important in many situations as their ability to reduce the decibel level of the report.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    The reality is outside of on the range it is impractical for shooters to wear hearing protection.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    As I recall, according to US v. Miller, the 2A only protects implements of war.
    Bingo, and I want the lawsuit based on this.

Because suppressors are standard issue for marines, and issued to every army unit it at least some capacity. The standard rifle is an SBR, and the standard shotgun is an SBS.

More over, the standard rifles are all automatic. Which was not the case at the time of the Miller ruling.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    The reality is outside of on the range it is impractical for shooters to wear hearing protection.
    Thanks for clearing that up having never served myself....... under the "hearing conservation program" we were supposed to wear ear pro while driving any tactical vehicle, well that never happened either

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast