Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What red dot & sling for Bullpup shotgun?

Picked up an N4S now looking for sling & red dot options. Don't want to spend Aimpoint money for this one. Just a range toy.

Default Re: What red dot & sling for Bullpup shotgun?

Sig Romeo 5 or just about any Holosun will do the job for the red dot. The sling I can't help you with since I'm not familiar with the firearm.

(Washington County)

Does it have any sling mounting mounting points? I couldnt really see any looking at photos.

In general my favorite two point sling is the vtac but everyone keeps telling me to try a lead faucet tactical sling.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

I don't have a semi-auto shotgun with a red dot, but when I did, I used a Trijicon RMR and it held up well.

I have a lot of experience using optics on 308 semi-auto rifles, and the forward motion of a heavy bolt is consistently bad news for inexpensive optics.

I would assume from an unscientific recoil comparison that the energy in a semi-auto 12ga is MORE than a 308. Understand that it is also the Forward motion of the bolt that is particularly damaging to optics, not just the energy (recoil) created by firing the round.

The least expensive red dot optics that in my experience were able to withstand that recoil and forward energy, were the EoTech 512, Aimpoint Pro, and Trijicon RMR.

More lightly built optics may demonstrate a shift in zero, or just cease to function, altogether.

YMMV

The Romeo 5 and the Holosuns I have will hold up to 12 gauge recoil just fine. I have done it myself and evidence of it is all over the inter webs.

The Vortex Spark II is also another good choice with a lifetime no questions asked replacement warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I don't have a semi-auto shotgun with a red dot, but when I did, I used a Trijicon RMR and it held up well.

I have a lot of experience using optics on 308 semi-auto rifles, and the forward motion of a heavy bolt is consistently bad news for inexpensive optics.

I would assume from an unscientific recoil comparison that the energy in a semi-auto 12ga is MORE than a 308. Understand that it is also the Forward motion of the bolt that is particularly damaging to optics, not just the energy (recoil) created by firing the round.

The least expensive red dot optics that in my experience were able to withstand that recoil and forward energy, were the EoTech 512, Aimpoint Pro, and Trijicon RMR.

More lightly built optics may demonstrate a shift in zero, or just cease to function, altogether.

YMMV
    Had an Eotech years ago on my AR & it failed. regardless, not spending that kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The Romeo 5 and the Holosuns I have will hold up to 12 gauge recoil just fine. I have done it myself and evidence of it is all over the inter webs.

The Vortex Spark II is also another good choice with a lifetime no questions asked replacement warranty.
    Was hoping to spend under $100, ugh

How did it fail?

I have used a 512 on a G3K for years, including in Heavy Metal 3gun, with no issues.

I place a premium on my optics holding zero

I get frustrated spending range time and ammo on optics shifting zero.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    How did it fail?

I have used a 512 on a G3K for years, including in Heavy Metal 3gun, with no issues.

I place a premium on my optics holding zero

I get frustrated spending range time and ammo on optics shifting zero.
    It just stopped working. I went to the AImpoint after that