Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default over/under price question

I have seen some major price varations and trying to get an idea on a 1972 Browning Superposed Pigeon grade 12 gauge with 3 sets of barrel inserts in excellent condition.

Any thoughts.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: over/under price question

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I have seen some major price varations and trying to get an idea on a 1972 Browning Superposed Pigeon grade 12 gauge with 3 sets of barrel inserts in excellent condition.

Any thoughts.
    I am speculating here that the sets of barrel inserts that you refer to are sub-gauge tubes that are probably 16ga, 20ga and .410, and not just the choke tubes that thread into the end of the barrel?
    There are several determining factors of value, of course with condition and functionality as well as the grade of stock and forend wood, any engraving, etc.
    There are a few resources that might be able to help you find a selling value, bear in mind they are all shops that would likely be looking to buy for their used gun inventory.
    I am in Western PA, and I have dealt with Elite Firearms (north Pittsburgh suburbs); Joel Etchen Inc. (Ligonier east of Pittsburgh) and Hi-Grade Shooters Supply. Hi-Grade just closed the shop I frequented, but I believe they are still serving the shotgun market.
    I can't really recommend any places east in PA, but I know each of these vendors participate at PA Trap and Sporting Clay's events so there might be a chance to engage with one of them or some other vendor at one of the state level shoots. PA Trap has a few events at Elysburg PA, and Elite has frequently been a vendor at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays events.
    The shotgun sports organizations all have web sites with event calendars and some vendor links as well. That's where I would probably start if I was trying to get a fair value for sale or insurance purposes. Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

VooDoo1 cites Elite, Etchen and Hi-Grade. They are all good people and sources of information.

Another source is the forum on shotgunworld.com. It is the internet, and there are some strong opinions and the usual nonsense but there are some very knowledgeable folks on the forum.

While I am an old guy that shoots shotguns, I don't have deep knowledge of old shotguns. I do know enough that Browning Superposed are held in high esteem and can demand high prices.

A point of clarification. There are 3 and 4 barrel sets where all barrels fit the same receiver. Barrel sets are harder to find. If you are seeking tubes, aka sub-gauge tubes or a tube set, that fit in a 12 GA barrel and fire 20, 28 and .410 GA, those are more prevalent and can be fitted to most 12 GA O/U. Briley and Kolar are the goto tube makers.

Finally, guns like the Superposed turn up on Gunbroker. Sign up and build a search for Superposed and, when one turns up, you will get notified via email. Load the money gun and Caveat Emptor
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(York County)

Thank you, this gives me more to work with then I had previously.

I've had a few high-end cased shotgun sets pass thru. That is a hard sell , unless an avid sport shooter with a lot of money walks in looking for one. One shop might low-ball you because he knows it might be sitting in the shop a long time. There's book value , and cash-in-hand value. You might try to post a few pics , price and contact info on the boards at some local gun clubs. Or consign it to a local gun auction.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!