Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Flying out of Newark NJ.

Hey Troops,

I know this is likely a very dumb question, but I shall sally forth! My sister and her husband moved out to Oregon last year and I have been holding her guns for her until we could figure a good way of getting them out there.... 3 handguns and an AR, so rather then ship from FFL to FFL, I set up a hard case, and since she is here for a visit, we figured that she could fly them home.

Well..... she just told me that her return flight was outta Newark..... (SHIT!!!). I have flown outta Philadelphia several times and found it a pretty easy process.... I did a little internet search.... and it looks like flying out of NJ with guns is a “NO GO”!!!! I guess her only option is to
    Change her flight to Philadelphia.... does anyone have a better idea, or some advise....?
    Thanks!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Flying out of Newark NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    Hey Troops,

I know this is likely a very dumb question, but I shall sally forth! My sister and her husband moved out to Oregon last year and I have been holding her guns for her until we could figure a good way of getting them out there.... 3 handguns and an AR, so rather then ship from FFL to FFL, I set up a hard case, and since she is here for a visit, we figured that she could fly them home.

Well..... she just told me that her return flight was outta Newark..... (SHIT!!!). I have flown outta Philadelphia several times and found it a pretty easy process.... I did a little internet search.... and it looks like flying out of NJ with guns is a *NO GO*!!!! I guess her only option is to
    Change her flight to Philadelphia.... does anyone have a better idea, or some advise....?
    Thanks!
    Fred
    DO NOT TAKE GUNS TO NJ... There are enough stories of folks getting burned at Newark airport with arms in the luggage. Change to Philly if possible is likely the best alternative, or revert to plan B and ship them.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Since she owns the guns, and assuming they are legal in PA and the destination, I don't see why she cannot ship them to herself. While she is here, she ships them via USPS/UPS/FedEx (I would recommend anything but USPS) then boards the flight in NJ, flies to Oregon and receives them there.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    DO NOT TAKE GUNS TO NJ... There are enough stories of folks getting burned at Newark airport with arms in the luggage. Change to Philly if possible is likely the best alternative, or revert to plan B and ship them.
    THIS^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

Philly Or FFL to FFL Insured !

DO NOT have her take them to Newark and fly them out.

DO have her ship them to herself while she is here. That is perfectly legal They will have to go Fedex or UPS 2 day air and be shipped from one of their 'hubs'. (Not the UPS store or any other non-company location.) Handguns can not be shipped by civilians via USPS.

The cost of shipping will FAR outweigh the risks of taking firearms through NJ. Not to mention the hassle of possible arrest. (Or fly out of Philly.)
    "You gotta be alive to get paid."

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    Since she owns the guns, and assuming they are legal in PA and the destination, I don't see why she cannot ship them to herself. While she is here, she ships them via USPS/UPS/FedEx (I would recommend anything but USPS) then boards the flight in NJ, flies to Oregon and receives them there.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
    My thoughts precisely! USPS is a no go for handguns. FedEx would probably be best, but you must take them to a FedEx store that can accept them. I've used FedEx to ship handguns to gunsmith for work several times and he returned them to me the same way. No problems at all! But check first!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

There is no legal mechanism to fly them out of NJ.

Changing the flight to PHL would be the easiest and possibly cheapest. I think a change fee is usually $75? But then you have to pay for the checked hard case too. So it might be a wash vs. shipping but then she'll have them with her instead of waiting for the shipment to arrive.

(Lancaster County)

My bags have been lost enough times flying out of Philly that I'd risk the state prison time & try flying the guns from NJ 1st, lol.

Seriously though, I'd ship them "adult signature required" to your destination. Way less time and hassle, and in the end probably about twenty bucks more expensive is all.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    My bags have been lost enough times flying out of Philly that I'd risk the state prison time & try flying the guns from NJ 1st, lol.

Seriously though, I'd ship them "adult signature required" to your destination. Way less time and hassle, and in the end probably about twenty bucks more expensive is all.
    I have a feeling not many firearms go missing due to the repercussions. I could be wrong though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast