Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Varnish/Stain Removal from Parkerized Receiver??

Any ideas on how to get this stain off??

I guess the previous owner thought it was a good idea to apply stain with a brush and not remove the stock...

hosting image

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Varnish/Stain Removal from Parkerized Receiver??

Mineral spirits should take it off the metal. If it doesn't wipe off gently use a toothbrush. The bigger problem is the stock. I would have to remove the shiny varnish and put on an oil finish back on. Without knowing if it is varnish or a poly finish it is hard to say what you need to take it off. I would first try mineral spirits, it should not take out any color. If you have to use ethanol some of the stain will be removed and you might have to redo it if you want a darker color.

Do some searches on how to apply a military oil finish and how to remove the shiny varnish. The CMP forums would be a good place to start.

(Elk County)

Remove the barreled action from the stock. A powerful solvent such as acetone or MEK will be needed to dissolve the crosslinked varnish/polymer. Wet some folded paper towels in solvent and "soak" the areas. Work outdoors. Use an old toothbrush to help work the solvent into the varnish film. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL! Once the varnish is dissolved, you will need to repeatedly and liberally oil the parkerizing. I recommend Corrosion-X or Weapon Shield Oil.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Mineral spirits should take it off the metal. If it doesn't wipe off gently use a toothbrush. The bigger problem is the stock. I would have to remove the shiny varnish and put on an oil finish back on. Without knowing if it is varnish or a poly finish it is hard to say what you need to take it off. I would first try mineral spirits, it should not take out any color. If you have to use ethanol some of the stain will be removed and you might have to redo it if you want a darker color.

Do some searches on how to apply a military oil finish and how to remove the shiny varnish. The CMP forums would be a good place to start.
    Fixing the stock is next on the list, it looks horrible. Half of it is shiny and the other half is dull..

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Remove the barreled action from the stock. A powerful solvent such as acetone or MEK will be needed to dissolve the crosslinked varnish/polymer. Wet some folded paper towels in solvent and "soak" the areas. Work outdoors. Use an old toothbrush to help work the solvent into the varnish film. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL! Once the varnish is dissolved, you will need to repeatedly and liberally oil the parkerizing. I recommend Corrosion-X or Weapon Shield Oil.

Noah
    Ok, thanks guys.

I'm gonna try some acetone and let it soak, testing a small area first.

(Monroe County)

Yet he missed parts of the upper handguard.

Plastic brush only, tooth and then something stiffer but still not metal. I'd try nail polish remover first and work up to the stronger chems depending on results. My go-to is citistrip but I'd be worried about the finish.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lycoming County)

Acetone and rubbing some oil into the receiver did a pretty damn good job, for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Yet he missed parts of the upper handguard.
    Yeah, should I clean the handguard off while I'm at it? It doesn't look too good...

(Monroe County)

boop there it is..
    But wow the rest of the metal looks good.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    boop there it is..
    But wow the rest of the metal looks good.
    Thanks, I tried taking that crap off the hand guard with acetone but it wasn't working..

I started working on the stock now. Hit it with some acetone and some very light sanding with 00 steel wool (did not have any 0000)
    I'll have to take it out shooting and see how it looks outside, I may keep working on it if it still looks bad.

Starting to look okay though, (no more annoying shine on the stock in random places)
    Starting to look like an M1A.

(Bucks County)

Careful with acetone on the plastic handguard. It could discolor or even melt it so test a small section under the handguard.

My first choice on plastics would be ethanol. But even than you should test a discrete spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast