Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Great place to buy a shotgun??

I am in the market for nice over/under. It’s a lot of money, so Instead of just going to any dealer and picking one that “feels” right, I would like to go to a place where the staff can help me choose the right gun that truly properly fits me. Obviously, this would mean the staff would have to be very knowledgeable (cause I am not). I am in Adam’s county, but would be willing to travel. Thanks for the tips.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Great place to buy a shotgun??

Just thinking off hand, but you could try a place that has a trap range and rental shotguns. Sunset Hill comes to mind, but I don't know their fitting expertise. Also, maybe call around to the private hunting preserves that include bird hunting. Some of them have pro shops that offer firearms for sale and may have staff experienced in fitting.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 717wildcat View Post
    I am in the market for nice over/under. It*s a lot of money, so Instead of just going to any dealer and picking one that *feels* right, I would like to go to a place where the staff can help me choose the right gun that truly properly fits me. Obviously, this would mean the staff would have to be very knowledgeable (cause I am not). I am in Adam*s county, but would be willing to travel. Thanks for the tips.
    I haven't been there in years but Shydas in Ephrata used to be a premier shotgun and trap supplier. Give them a call and talk with them about a fitting.

https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I haven't been there in years but Shydas in Ephrata used to be a premier shotgun and trap supplier. Give them a call and talk with them about a fitting.

https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/
    Shyda's is just South of Lebanon...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I was thinking shydas would be a good place to try.... but I haven’t been there in awhile. Sunset hill looks to be mostly tactical guns but good suggestion.

(Allegheny County)

Before going shopping: is the gun for sporting, field or a do everything gun? There are many factors to consider, the biggest is weight. My skeet gun weighs over 9 lbs, my field gun weighs 6 1/2. That 3 lb difference is a big deal when upland hunting. Knowing what you want to use it for will make a difference and allow the vendor to help you.

As for vendors, if you are dead set on a new gun then consider Cove Creek in Bedford, dhttps://www.joeletchenguns.com/ in Ligonier or Elite in Hampton. Etchen and Elite sell only shotguns and both have deep experience with sporting and field guns. Cove Creek would be my third choice. All are a bit of a drive but a new gun will be $1,500 and up so spending time to find the right one will avoid buyers remorse. All three sell Browning and Beretta (along with many others). Elite and Etchen have used guns as well.

As for guns. My advice? Start with a B gun (Beretta or Browning). Both are good guns, reliable, readily available parts and hold value.

Editorial: if this is your first shotgun, buy used. If you are a member of a club, check the bulletin boards. My club usually has a few o/u for sale. Shotguns last a long time.
    If at all possible, get to a club and try a few. Beretta and Browning are both good but they feel different. The feel, mount and swing are critical for shotguns. I am a Browning guy, they feel and swing better for me. Beretta's are great guns but don't feel as good to me. YMMV. ds

Good luck in your shotgun journey.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?