Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Self installation of new sights.

I recently changed the stock sights on my Glock 27 to Meprolights using only a poor mans vice, C-clamp, wood dowel and a mallet. I also have the small socket for the front sight. This went so smooth I want to change some of my others as well. Should a Kahr PM9 and an XD40 be as easy? They both have dove tails front and back.
    Last edited by bripro; November 1st, 2008 at 03:42 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Self installation of new sights.

If you changed them on your Glock, then you shouldn't have any problem with the others since they are dovetailed in. Tap out, tap in, sight the gun in.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: Self installation of new sights.

Changing XD sites can be VERY difficult on some pistols, and quite easy on others. I've seen people say that theirs were easy to change, and others say they were very difficult to change. I changed my sites myself and it was of the difficult variety, I tried everything. I broek 3, yes 3, STEEL punches trying to knock those sites out. On 1 punch I used a smaller hammer, on the last 2 I was using a baby sledge and still couldn't get them out. Some people on XD said that it was easier if they iced just the site, to try to get it to shrink minutely, and then tap it out, didn't help me a bit. I was also using a BIG vice with it clamped in, and couldn't get the sites out.

I finally got my sites to come out when I got a HUGE EZ-out, that my dad had for some lugs on an electrical lug that got stripped. I turned that on an angle, so that it wouldn't hit the slide, got the baby sledge and gave it one very firm hit, and it came right out. The sites are made out of very hard steel, even some of the pro's like Scott Springer and Rich from Canyon Creek have to cut them out with a dremel. Anyway, that's my experience with XD sites. You've been warned.