Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Why do people hate cross bolt safeties?

Every time i see a review for a rifle with a cross bolt safety, it always gets some comment about how much they dislike them.

I don't get it. What am i missing?

I don't hunt. Is that it? I'll take a cross bolt safety any day over one of those safeties that automatically engages between every shot.

-Zach

Default Re: Why do people hate cross bolt safeties?

Are you referring to lever-action rifles?

Winchester and Marlin both added cross bolt safeties back in the late 90s IIRC , after some big lawsuit. The exposed hammer and half-cock or safety notch wasn't good enough after 100+years.

They're kinda ugly.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Why do people hate cross bolt safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Every time i see a review for a rifle with a cross bolt safety, it always gets some comment about how much they dislike them.

I don't get it. What am i missing?

I don't hunt. Is that it? I'll take a cross bolt safety any day over one of those safeties that automatically engages between every shot.

-Zach
    Ask my wife when she is putting the cross hairs on a nice buck coming at her and the gun goes poink instead of bang, because she forgot the cross bolt. So the hunting part just might be the answer you seek. Since we got thru the first 100 plus years of lever guns without cross bolts, it is just another addition that is based on idiots and lawyers to complicate our lives.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Are you referring to lever-action rifles?

Winchester and Marlin both added cross bolt safeties back in the late 90s IIRC , after some big lawsuit. The exposed hammer and half-cock or safety notch wasn't good enough after 100+years.

They're kinda ugly.
    Not specifically lever guns. For example, the Ruger 10/22 has a cross bolt safety. But sure, if they are on lever guns primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Ask my wife when she is putting the cross hairs on a nice buck coming at her and the gun goes poink instead of bang, because she forgot the cross bolt. So the hunting part just might be the answer you seek. Since we got thru the first 100 plus years of lever guns without cross bolts, it is just another addition that is based on idiots and lawyers to complicate our lives.
    So .. The cross bolt safety in this case actually allows the gun to move the trigger? Yeah. That would be really annoying.

-Zach

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    They are easy to forget in the excitement of seeing game and getting ready , I agree . Most of my levers are the old style with "half cock " .

I don't like them being so close to the trigger. you make a mistake and that pressure you thought was on the safety is now transferred to theBANG! ... ow... trigger.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    They are easy to forget in the excitement of seeing game and getting ready , I agree . Most of my levers are the old style with "half cock " .
    Are they any easier to forget than any other type of safety on a bolt-action rifle?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

On a shotgun at least, I prefer crossbolt safeties (specifically behind the trigger) over tang safeties. You lose ambidexterity, but they're easier to disengage with your trigger finger on the way to firing.

I've never had a rifle with a crossbolt safety.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    On a shotgun at least, I prefer crossbolt safeties (specifically behind the trigger) over tang safeties. You lose ambidexterity, but they're easier to disengage with your trigger finger on the way to firing.

I've never had a rifle with a crossbolt safety.
    I never did either, but I did have a Marlin 336 without one. It was possible when dropping the hammer to the half-cock position after chambering a round, to have the hammer catch in a position which would allow a jolt, or pressure on the trigger, to allow the hammer to fall without fully cocking the hammer. After an older, wiser hunter showed that to me, I was always very careful when dropping the hammer to half-cock, to make sure it hit the right place and was actually safe.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Are they any easier to forget than any other type of safety on a bolt-action rifle?
    With the older "half cock" there is no forgetting just pull the hammer back and fire . So yes, if you would own both types of levers the answer is yes .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast