Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Why do people hate cross bolt safeties?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Not specifically lever guns. For example, the Ruger 10/22 has a cross bolt safety. But sure, if they are on lever guns primarily.

So .. The cross bolt safety in this case actually allows the gun to move the trigger? Yeah. That would be really annoying.

-Zach
    The cross bolt I know that people hate is a hammer block, not a trigger block, typically on a hammer fired gun. The little sliding safety that blocks the trigger, like on many guns is a pain in the ass, as you have no visual indication and it is hard to actuate with gloves on, but not as bad as a hammer block one. This is particularly true for left handed shooters, for who the safety needs to be reversed to work easily, and not all of them allow this.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I don't have a problem on my lever guns or 870s. Training makes it second nature. I could see an old timer "forgetting" to turn it off. There is a simple solution to this though. Half cock the rifle and put the crossbolt safety on fire. This is no different than using a rifle without the safety. Saddle ring crossbolt safety deletes look pretty cool.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    Is your finger still on the trigger as you set the hammer on the half-cock position?
    I haven't owned that gun for 10 years, and it was probably 10 years before that since I shot it, but my recollection is yes, you had to have your finger on the trigger while lowering to half-cock for it to catch in the dangerous position, but I am not 100% certain. Yes, I know that is a manual-of-arms operator error, but it still could result in a belief the gun is safe when it isn't.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    On a shotgun at least, I prefer crossbolt safeties (specifically behind the trigger) over tang safeties. You lose ambidexterity, but they're easier to disengage with your trigger finger on the way to firing.

I've never had a rifle with a crossbolt safety.
    How exactly do you lose ambidexterity with a tang safety? It's easily accessible by the thumb of either hand, so long as you didn't do something stupid like put a pistol grip on a Mossberg. A crossbolt safety is only useful for right handed people. Not a fan, but I'm used to using my thumb to disengage and my trigger finger to re-engage the safety.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    How exactly do you lose ambidexterity with a tang safety? It's easily accessible by the thumb of either hand, so long as you didn't do something stupid like put a pistol grip on a Mossberg. A crossbolt safety is only useful for right handed people. Not a fan, but I'm used to using my thumb to disengage and my trigger finger to re-engage the safety.
    You read that sentence wrong. I was saying the crossbolt safeties lose ambidexterity over tang safeties, while being easier for me to disengage.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I don't have a problem on my lever guns or 870s. Training makes it second nature. I could see an old timer "forgetting" to turn it off. There is a simple solution to this though. Half cock the rifle and put the crossbolt safety on fire. This is no different than using a rifle without the safety. Saddle ring crossbolt safety deletes look pretty cool.
    ^^^This^^^ is what I've always done with my Marlin 336.

It's not really that big of a hurdle to overcome.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    On a shotgun at least, I prefer crossbolt safeties (specifically behind the trigger) over tang safeties. You lose ambidexterity, but they're easier to disengage with your trigger finger on the way to firing.

I've never had a rifle with a crossbolt safety.
    I'm with the "don't like crossbolt" crowd. As for the tang safety, just as convenient to disengage with thumb without making your trigger finger do two jobs.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Chester County)

My 1987 Marlin 1895SS has the cross bolt safety. It's not needed but if you don't use it then it isn't a problem. The red ring around the safety tells you you're ready to shoot. They also have kits to eliminate the thing altogether. I prefer to leave it be other than to keep it clean, lubricated and test for function every so often. Not a big deal. Most people today don't even remember or even knew that the crossbolt on a Marlin wasn't always there. When these kits first became available back in the 90's I decided back then not to fall for the hype and leave my beautiful Marlin alone because it really isn't a problem.

https://beartoothmercantile.com/basi...-marlin-rifle/

With cross bolt on trigger vs top of receiver I have both of those amd prefer the Winchester style of in front of trigger. I shoot the Remington behind the trigger safety too without much problem. I've shot both of them so many times it's instinctive. The top tang safety not so much. It's all about you familiarity of the firearm you're using.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Hunted ~40 yrs with Rem 760 never an issue or annoyance and I'm left handed so it's the thumb to disengage.

(Washington County)

its like ford vs chevy for me. You end up preferring whatever your father preferred. I prefer tang safety over cross bolt but own both.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast