Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Recommend a shooting rest, please

I want a high quality shooting rest that I can use for bench shooting of rifles or pistols. I'm looking at this rifle rest because it won't require me to use a short magazine (30 round 7.62x39 magazines with ranger plates are really long) but it doesn't look like I can use it for pistols. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Stin...953336&sr=8-10

I also considered making one myself with some conduit tubing filled with sand and foam pipe covers but can't come up with a design that I have any confidence won't be a pile of shit. If you've built one yourself though, let me know.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Recommend a shooting rest, please

I kind of always chuckle when I see guys at the range using those type of rests. What's the point of it? Where does the skill come into play if the rifle is "locked" into a rest and all you have to do is pull the trigger?

At least with these types of rests you still have to use some skill because the rifle isn't "locked" into a front and rear rest.
    Amazon.com : Caldwell The Rock Deluxe Front Rest Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest for Outdoor Range : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com : LIVIQILY Tactical Shooting Gun Front Rear Support Bag Outdoor Hunting Sandbag Bench Sniper Rifle Gun Support Package (Army Green) : Sports & Outdoors
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I kind of always chuckle when I see guys at the range using those type of rests. What's the point of it? Where does the skill come into play if the rifle is "locked" into a rest and all you have to do is pull the trigger?

At least with these types of rests you still have to use some skill because the rifle isn't "locked" into a front and rear rest.
    Amazon.com : Caldwell The Rock Deluxe Front Rest Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest for Outdoor Range : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com : LIVIQILY Tactical Shooting Gun Front Rear Support Bag Outdoor Hunting Sandbag Bench Sniper Rifle Gun Support Package (Army Green) : Sports & Outdoors
    I am far from an expert but my thoughts are that first you want the rifle sighted in as perfectly as you can get it then work on your skills. Accordingly, a good shooting rest would be a good first step.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am far from an expert but my thoughts are that first you want the rifle sighted in as perfectly as you can get it then work on your skills. Accordingly, a good shooting rest would be a good first step.
    Not an uncommon point of view. However, it's been my experience that many guys use them all the time, not just for adjusting sights. In addition, it's also been my experience that once you move off the rest you will still need to adjust POA to POI due to the human input now being introduced when off the rest.

At most I'll rest the rifle on a range bag for it's first sight in (typically 200 yards) once I'm close to my desired grouping I move off the bench and see how it groups from prone, sitting, standing and make adjustments from there.

I'm afraid long gone are the days of the young guys learning and mastering marksmanship. Less then 10 years ago we would have a full line (20 shooters) for my clubs Civilian Marksmanship Program matches. Today that number is 5 or 6 shooters.

It seems now-a-days most guys are on the range are either plinking, spraying and praying, or running and gunning and would have a difficult time hitting a man size target at 200 yards from the standing position.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 26th, 2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Not an uncommon point of view. However, it's been my experience that many guys use them all the time, not just for adjusting sights. In addition, it's also been my experience that once you move off the rest you will still need to adjust POA to POI due to the human input of being off the rest.

At most I'll rest the rifle on a range bag for it's first sight in (typically 200 yards) once I'm close to my desired grouping I move off the bench and see how it groups from prone, sitting, standing and make adjustments from there.
    I agree with Hawk.
    My elk outfitter told me I should be proficient with my rifle to 300 yards.
    After numerous bench sessions to work up a load, I brought a shooting mat and shot over a backpack and / or bipod.
    My worst groups were sitting with the 25 inch bipod at 300 but, the more I shot, the better I got.

Hardly ever see anyone shoot other than off a rest.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Beaver County)

I've always used a Caldwell lead sled for load development. It takes me out of the list of variables. After a load is developed then its bipod and bags for practice.

As for handguns I have a cheapish MTM pistol rest. Has worked just fine for me over the past five years for scope sight in and load development.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Wayne County)

Midway had Caldwell rest on sale for Black Friday sale, you missed it.

(Centre County)

I use a good rest to get the scope or red dot sighted in at the yardage I will normally be shooting. Once it is putting the bullets where the scope says it should be, then when I shoot it any other way, I know it's me and not my equipment that needs to be fixed. I will also use the rest (once rifle/scope combination is sighted in) to see what happens at other distances so I know the new POA/POI and that tells me what to do for a shorter or longer shot. Also, the original zeroing gives me a baseline to compare what a different load might do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Bipod and rear sand bag should be super stable for you
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Susquehanna County)

There's always this. https://www.caldwellshooting.com/res...-2/336677.html

Or you could get an automobile scissors jack and strap a Caldwell front bag to the top and use that as a front. Rear could be any bag or even your weak arm.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast