Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Eotech 512 or holosun micro 2? Solar?!

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    MROs also have serious parallax issues.

For me, there's nothing worth it in the middle ground of red dots. Either go low end with Holosun, or high end with Aimpoint.
    This is good advice IMO. Skip the Eotech due to battery life and having to turn the optic on/off. This is unless you have astigmatism or want to magnify, both of which the Eotech excel at vs a red dot.

Holosun in whatever flavor you like or go big with an Aimpoint.

(Berks County)

Holosun it is. Thank you boys!
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Holosun it is. Thank you boys!
    Every Holosun I have have which is more then a few including the higher end 515GM, and have used has been excellent in every way. The 510 is also outstanding and rivals the Eotech as far as I’m concerned, so the upgraded tougher 512 should be an ass kicker for sure.

Their customer service is also surprisingly easy to deal with and fast to fix any issues as well. I would not hesitate to put my 515 GM one any firearm including the legendary “go to war rifle.” lol.

I'm liking shake awake, solar, lifetime warranty, and 10 year battery life of holosun.

Didn't realize eotech was 10 yr limited warranty...
    This is one of the best ones if you haven*t seen it yet.

(Allegheny County)

I'm liking shake awake, solar, lifetime warranty, and 10 year battery life of holosun.

Didn't realize eotech was 10 yr limited warranty...
    I will say that I honestly think most of the differentiating features of Holosun aren't all that great (as an HS503C user).

The solar is a good idea, but the issue is it's got an ambient light brightness adjust kinda thing going on. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but it's not great if you're indoors shooting out or outdoors shooting in (say, if your range has shelters/shade for either you, or the target).

Shake awake is nice, but if the optic already has 5 years of life leaving it on (depending on the brightness of course), it doesn't add that much value to me. Never mind the fact that batteries will have their own self discharge and shelf life issues that you might just want to replace them after 5 years even if you didn't have it on the whole time.

Push button activation and adjust is honestly not ideal. It's hard to know exactly what brightness you're on, and I hate having to mash the buttons until I get to where I need it to be.

Power wise, I think Aimpoint is right on with their design. Rotary knob, you know what brightness you're on every time. No gimmicky shake awake or auto adjusting solar panel. Just set it and forget it. The only downside is the Micro series has the knob in a not ambidextrous location. I think the MRO's location is perfect, but again, they have too many optical issues that are unacceptable for the amount of money they're charging for it.

Primary Arms (pretty sure made by Holosun) has rotary knob red dots, and they're probably my next stop for a cheap red dot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This is good advice IMO. Skip the Eotech due to battery life and having to turn the optic on/off. This is unless you have astigmatism or want to magnify, both of which the Eotech excel at vs a red dot.

Holosun in whatever flavor you like or go big with an Aimpoint.
    There is one Holosun that I would pick OVER an Aimpoint. I've been following the closed emitter mini/pistol sized red dot developments. The HE509T seems to do everything the ACRO does, without the battery life issues (and with the traditional Holosun additions, if you're into those).

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I will say that I honestly think most of the differentiating features of Holosun aren't all that great (as an HS503C user).

The solar is a good idea, but the issue is it's got an ambient light brightness adjust kinda thing going on. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but it's not great if you're indoors shooting out or outdoors shooting in (say, if your range has shelters/shade for either you, or the target).

Shake awake is nice, but if the optic already has 5 years of life leaving it on (depending on the brightness of course), it doesn't add that much value to me. Never mind the fact that batteries will have their own self discharge and shelf life issues that you might just want to replace them after 5 years even if you didn't have it on the whole time.

Push button activation and adjust is honestly not ideal. It's hard to know exactly what brightness you're on, and I hate having to mash the buttons until I get to where I need it to be.

Power wise, I think Aimpoint is right on with their design. Rotary knob, you know what brightness you're on every time. No gimmicky shake awake or auto adjusting solar panel. Just set it and forget it. The only downside is the Micro series has the knob in a not ambidextrous location. I think the MRO's location is perfect, but again, they have too many optical issues that are unacceptable for the amount of money they're charging for it.

Primary Arms (pretty sure made by Holosun) has rotary knob red dots, and they're probably my next stop for a cheap red dot.
    I agree about the solar panel models. My 510 has solar but there is a way to override the ambient light issue, which I have done with mine, if somehow the battery dies I can reactive the solar feature and at least I have a functioning optic. The shake awake isn't something I would call a gimmick, it works and unless the rifle rides around in a vehicle all of its life, it will increase battery life, not sure how that's a bad thing in any way. I don't think I would get near 5 years out of a battery set on circle dot so I'm grateful for the shake awake. When my my Holosuns come back on they are always on the last brightness setting I had them on when they shut down, knob vs buttons, who cares as long as it's not a knob that only turns one way or one button, which some of the cheaper red dots use.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Every Holosun I have have which is more then a few including the higher end 515GM, and have used has been excellent in every way. The 510 is also outstanding and rivals the Eotech as far as I*m concerned, so the upgraded tougher 512 should be an ass kicker for sure.

Their customer service is also surprisingly easy to deal with and fast to fix any issues as well. I would not hesitate to put my 515 GM one any firearm including the legendary *go to war rifle.* lol.
    Agree, I'm not a fan of open reflex sights on my war rifles, my 510 works great, is easy to use, has a nice big unobstructed field of view, but getting dirt, mud or gunk over the emitter would be the end of usefulness until you got some water or something to clean it out with. It may be silly but that's a possibility I'm not ready to accept when there are alternatives. My Holosun 510 sits on my .22
    and not my "war weapons"for that reason.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

I have both. I prefer the eotech. I am.mot a big fan of the holosuns automatic stuff.

My eotech also takes AA batteries. they are a lot easier to find than the coin batteries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12