Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Noob asking for current shotshell reloading information?

I am new to shotshell reloading. I have some recipes for AA HS hulls/clays powder/Win 209 primers/7 1/2 lead shot/WAA12 wads. I have a Lee Loader II that I'm setting up. I see that there is availability for Cheddite 209, Wolf 209, and CCI 209 primers. Can I substitute these other 209s if I'm not loading beyone 1200 fps? Am I better off decapping and repriming shells in bulk and then running through the powder/wad/shot/crimp cycle? Any and all tips gratefully accepted except for "throw away the Lee Loader and buy a MEC."
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Noob asking for current shotshell reloading information?

Watch import primers. They can be larger in diameter than U.S. primers. Fiocchi are like that. Once you use them normal U.S. primers have a tendency to fall out.

And yes you can substitute primer brands. Of you use a magnum primer reduce powder charge by 1 grain.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Northampton County)

Like Ducati says, watch for import primers. I have a bunch of RIO primers i bought a few years back, and they do exactly what he said in his reply.
    Decap , Deprime and Size first. your lee set up should have come with a sizing ring, use it. I get 50 to 100 hulls sized and primed, then load. I have a 35 year old Lee Loader with the steel base, it came with 2 wad grippers in case 1 wears out. still on the first gripper. lol. have loaded at least 5000 rounds on it over the years. everything from bird shot to wax slugs, to marbles when i was a younger, even tried my hand at dragons breath a few times. lol. either buy or find someone with a scale to check your powder charges. My lee powder collets have always thown lighter charges than listed in the data sheet. I have never seen a need for it, but some people have glued a thin plastic or delron washer to the base to get a little more wad tension. have fun, but be careful. shotshell reloading is a little more forgiving than loading for pistol or rifle.
    75/15/10

(Northampton County)

I thought of a few more hints while looking at my set up. I use cheap C clamps to hold it on my bench, not screws. its easier to stow away in the box. Also, there will come a time when you want to empty the shot and the poweder without having to go 1 load at a time. I use a piece of thick cardboard thats cut a little larger than the hoppers without the lid. use the cardboard to keep the powder from dumping out and mixing when you pour out the shot into a bowl. If the powder and shot do mix then find an old albulm cover and playing card and de-seed, ahem, I mean de-shot the powder by gently liting 1 side of the cover and letting to shot collect in the crease. back in the day this was application quite effective for all kinds of stuff.
    75/15/10

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    I thought of a few more hints while looking at my set up. I use cheap C clamps to hold it on my bench, not screws. its easier to stow away in the box. Also, there will come a time when you want to empty the shot and the poweder without having to go 1 load at a time. I use a piece of thick cardboard thats cut a little larger than the hoppers without the lid. use the cardboard to keep the powder from dumping out and mixing when you pour out the shot into a bowl. If the powder and shot do mix then find an old albulm cover and playing card and de-seed, ahem, I mean de-shot the powder by gently liting 1 side of the cover and letting to shot collect in the crease. back in the day this was application quite effective for all kinds of stuff.
    I've been thinking of the C clamp bit. May not need to get wood-topped cart that I was thinking of getting if I were to use screws. In return for the helpful hints so far, I would like to give a bit of information that I stumbled on when cruising YouTube. The idea is to drill a hole in the right side of the lid that covers the tray of collets that sits on top of the hoppers. When finished with the current run of shells, take the collet tub off, put the lid with hole back on, pop the handle off, pour off the shot into a bowl or something (the shot is in the right-hand hopper). When the shot hopper is empty, remove the lid and pour the remaining powder into another bowl for transfer back to the bottle. Here is the link to the video that i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTrusOyMO0

In regard to a scale, I did buy one that seems to be made for this kind of activity. It's digital and has a pan with a spout that has a flat bottom to fit on the scale's surface. Thanks again to all. I am getting more ideas from you guys. I should be ready to make my first finished shot shells before the New Years trap shoot at Delaware County Sportsmans.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.