Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Pocono?"

(Bradford County)

Default "Pocono?"

Why is Bradford County (yeah, I'm living here) lumped in with the Pocono mountain region? The Susquehanna runs right through it and frankly I think it has a lot more in common with the north central/central counties than the Poconos. Sullivan Co as well - it's a heck of a lot closer to the Susquehanna than the Poconos.

A bit tongue in cheek, but also definitely curious.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: "Pocono?"

It definitely seems a bit arbitrary, depending on who is defining the "regions".

A google search shows that even some groups that attempt to use 6 simple geographic groups (NW, NC, NE, SW, SC, SE) differ on which counties fall where.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Because there is a tourism history of people wanting to visit 'The Poconos.' The marketing has already been done. They're just jumping on the bandwagon.

The pendulum might swing eventually when people discover that visiting 'The Poconos' is kind of like visiting Atlantic City. Nice resorts within a stone's throw of suburban slums. Then the other areas will start highlighting 'The Susquehanna Valley' more.

(Bradford County)

I see what you're saying but I've been here mostly full time since I was 16-17 yo, and before that, a part-timer since I was 9 or 10, and I have absolutely never heard anyone, nor talked to anyone, who even remotely considered Bradco or Sullivan as an extension of the Poconos. These are the so-called "Endless Mountains," have their own tourism board and their own thing going on. I'm not sure exactly what that thing is, but it sure isn't the Pocono thing.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    Why is Bradford County (yeah, I'm living here) lumped in with the Pocono mountain region? The Susquehanna runs right through it and frankly I think it has a lot more in common with the north central/central counties than the Poconos. Sullivan Co as well - it's a heck of a lot closer to the Susquehanna than the Poconos.

A bit tongue in cheek, but also definitely curious.
    Who*s lumped you in?

I have a cabin in the Poconos. You can see it all most every weekend, double platers rolling around the area. The good thing is some spend money and support the economy. The bad thing is some of them are total trash, act like animals, leaving trash and shitting up the place and, blasting trashy music. We can do without them.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Because there is a tourism history of people wanting to visit 'The Poconos.' The marketing has already been done.
    ^^^This right here^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Who*s lumped you in?
    The tourism industry did. Its all about the $. Always follow the $!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bradford County)

Who 'lumped us in' here in Bradco? Whoever set up these "Regions" sections. Bradford and Sullivan are included in "Pocono Mountain Region" and they really should be included in Valleys of the Susquehanna.

I'm not trying to be too much of a prick here, just nitpicking because it makes absolutely no sense. Just very curious.

(Wayne County)

Beats the hell out of me, considering that the Pocono Plateau only covers parts of Wayne, Pike, Monoe and a small piece of Carbon counties.

Personally, if I lived in BradfordCo., I wouldn't want to be associated with the Poconos. And I'm saying this as someone who deliberately moved to the Pocono region.

I LOVE this place. But...there is definitely a smarmy side to it as well. Most of the resorts have long since closed. Only a few left that I can think of.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bradford County)

Well Bradco has it's issues too. Lots of petty crime, i.e. your chainsaw vanishes out of your garage when you're away or someone's weekend cabin gets hit up by dumb teens looking for liquor. Of an of course the meth, although the sheriffs office has really done a lot to get that more under control than it used to be. So much of Bradford and Sullivan is so remote, there were lots of Walter White wannabes for a while there.

Great place to be if you just want to be left alone and/or do what you want, though!

(Monroe County)

There isn't a county in Pa without an area of issues of some sort. Whether it's some relocated city people, an area of no-teeth rednecks living in dilapidated trailers with the wheels still on and cars rusting in the yard and some places dudes cooking meth. The Pocs have some great areas and some not so great.

Bradford County which I believe without looking is west of Scranton with 6 running through it certainly isn't the Poconos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast