Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Newbie Questions From research Done

Just load them using a conservative powder charge and enjoy.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

The most recent load data is the Hornady #10, Lyman #50, Speer #15 or (online pdf) https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.com/reloading/handgun , Sierra 6th and Lee 2nd Edition.

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-...s/br?cid=19845

I've recently purchased the Hornady #10 and all my other manuals are at least 20 years old and don't list many of the newer powders which brings me to a point that was made to me years ago. That point being choose a long running powder well established for your loads so that you can use a wide variety of data from different manufacturers of bullets. As some have already pointed out that the differing data that you see is because different manufacturers use different test firearms and different dimension bullets and primers for use in their data sets. Find a well established powder and use the data from the bullet manufacturer and adjust your powder at the starting loads. I have been using Unique powder for over 30 years but it seems it's not a desirable powder for the 9mm parabellum. Apparently the 9mm likes faster burning powders like Bullseye which has been around almost as long as Unique.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Alright, how do you know if they're plated vs jacketed if you look at them?
    Jackets have a degree of thickness and usually a cannelure somewhere on the bullet. Plated bullets have a very thin coating and look just like cast bullets, but shiny, or pretty colors if coated. I do not know of any plated bullets with a cannelure.

731f8149055e8f0ce4a8b551f8dc9d6e.jpg b14e7021-d075-4f7b-b57e-32c6e08fa10205dd7af1-88ee-49b0-8649-efcc139ebebd.jpg 28654f58-4db5-4487-8d23-12a9faaeb291bc29af1e-6a43-4959-95c3-ce006c63c9a7.jpg
    Last two pictures from:
    https://firearmsreport.wordpress.com...keted-bullets/
    Last edited by gghbi; December 27th, 2020 at 01:11 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The most recent load data is the Hornady #10, Lyman #50, Speer #15 or (online pdf) https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.com/reloading/handgun , Sierra 6th and Lee 2nd Edition.

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-...s/br?cid=19845

I've recently purchased the Hornady #10 and all my other manuals are at least 20 years old and don't list many of the newer powders which brings me to a point that was made to me years ago. That point being choose a long running powder well established for your loads so that you can use a wide variety of data from different manufacturers of bullets. As some have already pointed out that the differing data that you see is because different manufacturers use different test firearms and different dimension bullets and primers for use in their data sets. Find a well established powder and use the data from the bullet manufacturer and adjust your powder at the starting loads. I have been using Unique powder for over 30 years but it seems it's not a desirable powder for the 9mm parabellum. Apparently the 9mm likes faster burning powders like Bullseye which has been around almost as long as Unique.
    I appreciate that. Speer shows 6.2 to 6.7 for Power Pistol. Such variations, if I use it I will start super low, like 4.8 as has been recommended here (thanks exflyingguy) for my Plated 115gr. Just so many different starts and maxs I have seen. I'll try 1.125 OAL? Or 1.1? Or 1.135? I see so may people use different OAL however all fall in the SAMMI spec so all should be fine so long as they chamber?

That is TMJ RN on speer, so would that be the same as a FMJ or what is the difference between the two? And based on that, plated should start lower and if so how much? But, not exceeding 1200-1300 using TMJ data should still be fine for Plated or will the plated somehow travel faster even though they are the same weight? Stupid question? So really plated should be lower than the TMJ or FMJ?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

But once more Speer is going to give you loads for JACKETED bullets not lead so the starting loads they offer will be roughly "mid-range" and possibly +p for lead, coated or plated lead bullets. TMJ is a marketing blurb meaning Total Meal Jacket the difference being negligible between that and FMJ. In short no exposed lead, not even at the tip. Just about any 9mm bullet with the RN profile will work with a 1.135" OAL (115 or 124 gr). Once again use data for cast lead for plated or coated bullets.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

I get you, cast lead data starting for plated. Always work up from there as required. 1.135 works for a lot. Thank you!

All you have to do is look at the max powder charges for lead and jacketed for the same weight and profile bullet. Plated use more powder than lead and less than jacketed. If you start off using the recommended charge for lead, you will automatically be safe for plated.

(Berks County)

Makes complete sense. Better safe than you know what.... I'll start at lead. Tried to find decent recipes for Power Pistol but it is all over the place for what people use so very confusing.

(Berks County)

I got me a case cleaner and the instructions say to use it on concrete. Is there a legitimate reason for that? Do they get hot and are they subject to catch on fire or something?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

Walleye is your cleaner a vibrating or tumbling kind of cleaner? Only thing about vibrators is they*re a little noisy and the might walk off a small table or bench. I*ve got the vibrating kind and just leave it on my back porch and let it do it*s thing.

I’ll add when it comes to plated or full metal jacket, you can scratch the plating off the tip of the plated bullet with small screwdriver. Plating isn’t that damn thick.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast