Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Newbie Questions From research Done

Hodgdon is a good source for on line data.
    Always cross reference load data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

(Northampton County)

I think one of the errors beginners make is buying components that they have no load data for. You end up in a situation where you are trying to "make" it work and that just leads to confusion. This is probably more true now given the myriad of powders on the market and the current shortages. Resist the urge to buy powder/bullets just because you can.

I started loading in the early 1980's and all there was to learn from were books and the occasional magazine article. We didn't have plunk tests or cartridge gauges or any of the other modern conveniences there are today. Beginners today are faced with information overload and I can only imagine the confusion it causes.

Keep it simple and avoid the specialty gadgets until you understand why you need(?)/want them. Only buy components when you have load data for them and stick with the tried and true combinations. There are damned few cartridges out there that don't have "standard" loads that were worked out years ago. Try to use them whenever possible while you learn the process.

Loading your own ammo is not rocket science but it sure can feel that way sometimes.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I am looking for data on X-Treme plated bullets and all their website says is:
    FYI Took a look at their site. They offer for sale a manual on their products.
    "We are pleased to announce our new E-Reloading manual specifically matched to our X-treme projectiles."
    https://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/50195.htm
    Disclaimer: have no idea what info they include.
    Edit, click more info and read some of the reviews, seems lame.
    Last edited by cephas; December 24th, 2020 at 08:41 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

I have my Dillon 550 all set up and have made my first few loads, which worked fine. You can drop down and I'll show you what I have done if you want.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Thank you all, more reading and thinking to do it seems. I will use my case gauges as I already have them. I am way overthinking this! Corncob with nu finish for handgun is going to work, right? Like I said, overthinking.

I am looking for data on X-Treme plated bullets and all their website says is:

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

So then, I go to Lyman 49 and there is no data for a 115gn RN, just HP
    Then I go to Lee and it has no data for Power Pistol or Titegroup or Bullseye

See my confusion? Hard to find data on a bullet that I am sure (115gn RN plated) is popular and powder that is readily available and popular.
    Generally you can use data for similar weight bullets from type to type with the bounds of the material. So a cast lead 115 gr RN would run with the same charge weight as a 115 gr SWC. BUT! Begin with the starting load and work up incrementally (for pistol I use 0.2 gr. increments) until you reach the performance you desire. You can even use data for bullets that are close in weight. For example I load a 147 gr. coated lead RN in .38 Special based on loads for Hornady's discontinued 140 gr. cast lead Cowboy Action bullet. The bullet I use started life as a 147 gr. 9mm bullet but my supplier sizes them UP to 0.358" (Thanks DucatiRon). If you look at some of the data you can see an overlap between cast lead and Jacketed bullets For example as found in the Western Powder Accurate #5 load data for 9mm Luger 115 gr a cast Lead RN charge range runs 5.2 gs. to 6.1 grs. For other bullets of differing shapes and manufacture but the same weight, Rainier Plated is the same range, Berry fits within 5.6grs. to 6.1grs., Sierra FMJ fits from 5.3 grs. to 6.1 grs. BUT in each and every and all cases start at the recommended starting load and work up!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

That picture has always confused me; what exactly is it showing? I'm not sure any of my barrels look like that. I see feed ramps and a place where the recoil spring goes in.Is it showing the barrel and how the head/end is in it? I assume that is a cutaway of the breech end? Is it showing in the 1st one the cartridge is below the breech, the second it is flush, the 3rd it sticks out but not past extractor potion of cartridge and 4th the extractor part is fully out which is bad?

I am loading for multiple pistols,so you are saying that I wont be able to use a "general" round and that each may have to be specific to a gun? I understand some are fussy and may work better a certain way.

As far as SAMMI crimp, I assume that is the 0.381 for 9mm? I have read a lot about heavy and light crimp and it seems that heavy would stress brass more over time wearing it out and would build pressure in the cartridge more. That is why I ask as I want to be safe and not have an accident.

I'll have to look at load data from bullet mfr, I get that but all I was saying is looking at Lee and LYman, they don't have some of the most basic rounds like plated 115gn RN or a FMJ, lots of hollow and wadcutters, etc...

To start, I'll check every round for sure and only load 10 max to try out for each "variation"
    Thats a 1911 barrel. Your looking at the head of the cartridge and the barrel hood. 1 is low 4 is high.

Overall length has to fit in the magazine and allow the gun to fully close. Loaded round should not stick in the chamber no matter how hard you push. Bullet should not be seated past the start of the ojive tapper. If bullet has a crimp groove thats where you seat it to and crimp. 9mm sucks to reload. Case lengths varry by brand. Cant set crimp die for one and expect it to be ok for others. Measure and trim to shortest. Also effects expander the same way if lenths aren't uniform. Just my experience.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

I'm just coming back up to speed now. 10 years out of practice. Just went though my shop that me and both kids used, they have their own homes now. Found all the fired brass and started getting up to speed.
    .45 ACP, resized and decapped, rcbs carbide dies for that. Used a pocket brush to clean out the pockets. Then threw the first 1,000 rounds in a bucket with dawn and water, stirred, pulled em out rinsed them and let em dry off over night. Threw 200 in the midway vibrator and let them go for 4 or 5 hours, removed, replaced with another 200, repeat, repeat, repeat. Next step is to prime them while I watch a movie or something, I have an rcbs hand primer I can take with me with a tray that holds a 100 primers at a time.
    While that was going on I started in on the 5.56 brass, resize and decap, clean the pockets, pocket swaged them, washed them, vibrated them and put them away, while I have powder and bullets I have no primers for the 5.56/223. I have about 400 rounds of fired brass, 200 I shot and 200 a guy next to me shot at the club and he does not reload. Lesson's learned on the 556/223, never forget to lube before resizing and decapping, NEVER. I bought two exp-decapping units from RCBS after that first time I didn't lube last month. I don't have anything fancy, just an 8 station Texas Turret press I bought back in 74 when I was home on leave so I could reload for my Super blackhawk .44mag.

(Berks County)

Thank you. Now Lyman 49 has power pistol start at 5.9 for 115 jhp. The Alliant site starts much higher, that discrepancy is quite alarming to me.
    Understood but Lyman at 5.9 start and Alliant at 7.1 start is HUGE difference and concerning.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Head over to Harrisburg next week....

https://www.nrainstructors.org/Cours...&youth=&women=

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    FYI Took a look at their site. They offer for sale a manual on their products.
    "We are pleased to announce our new E-Reloading manual specifically matched to our X-treme projectiles."
    https://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/50195.htm
    Disclaimer: have no idea what info they include.
    Edit, click more info and read some of the reviews, seems lame.
    Yeah, I saw that and bad reviews sadly.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast