Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: PICS just changed the rules

In the last 4 months the longest delay (2 weeks ago) for one of my customers was 3 days in Research (he was a chinese national with a green card). If not approved within 2 minutes (the vast majority), the delays have ranged from 15 min to 2 1/2 hours with most delays in the 15-30 minute range. I talked to a PICS supervisor on the one put into Research and she told me that they are fully staffed and working as fast as they can. She said for the past 8 months they have been doing 1400-1600 PICS checks per day and they they have been fully staffed the whole time.

As for the "database", I asked that question before and asked why they didn't just scan the form into the "database". She said that they have to manually enter the information because they don't need all of what is on the page. That kind of tells me they only need/want the buyers name and the gun info. They probably only have one person inputting the info but why it takes so long (it's been 11-15 months for a long time-at least 5 years) so who knows why. I think I'll contact Senator Cormans office and bring that up since the law says the paper form must be destroyed after 72 hours and it's taking like 72 weeks.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    In the last 4 months the longest delay (2 weeks ago) for one of my customers was 3 days in Research (he was a chinese national with a green card). If not approved within 2 minutes (the vast majority), the delays have ranged from 15 min to 2 1/2 hours with most delays in the 15-30 minute range. I talked to a PICS supervisor on the one put into Research and she told me that they are fully staffed and working as fast as they can. She said for the past 8 months they have been doing 1400-1600 PICS checks per day and they they have been fully staffed the whole time.

As for the "database", I asked that question before and asked why they didn't just scan the form into the "database". She said that they have to manually enter the information because they don't need all of what is on the page. That kind of tells me they only need/want the buyers name and the gun info. They probably only have one person inputting the info but why it takes so long (it's been 11-15 months for a long time-at least 5 years) so who knows why. I think I'll contact Senator Cormans office and bring that up since the law says the paper form must be destroyed after 72 hours and it's taking like 72 weeks.
    Well this just popped my bubble.....LOL. I have been in *Research* since Dec. 26th. So if I don*t hear back from the store in say a week, I can assume there is a problem ???
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Well this just popped my bubble.....LOL. I have been in *Research* since Dec. 26th. So if I don*t hear back from the store in say a week, I can assume there is a problem ???
    Maybe the check was approved but no one bothered to let you know.

(Centre County)

UPDATE on the 30 day Research:

From my Representative, Kerry Benninghoff (the new House Majority Leader):

House Research staff reached out to the PA State Police and was told that like other residents and businesses of the Commonwealth, PICS has also been impacted by COVID-19. Due to a recent issue with COVID, background checks that were in the 15-day research period were going to extend beyond this timeframe and would have been placed in an undetermined status. To avoid that issue, they extended the research period temporarily. Based upon their current backlog of research, they should revert to the 15-day period in about two weeks.

Me: Going to a 30 day Research in this scenario is actually better for people. If you go into Undetermined status(after 15 days), your recourse is to do the Challenge form and then you have to wait on the PSP to do their investigation which could (and probably would) take longer than the extra 15 days of PICS Research. That said, the PSP now knows that people in the legislature are looking at them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Except, the only basis in the law for "research" (actually referred to in the law as a "temporary delay") is in relation to whether assaulted-related convictions are domestic violence related. See 18 Pa.C.S. 6111
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123