Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: All You East Pennsylvania FFL’s Are Pissing ME Off

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    Quite Simply the incentive is easy money with very little effort.

lol Bro, have you ever done a transfer? Do you know what's it entails? Do you even lift brah? j/k

So lets add up the time taken for each of your actions.. receiving a firearm from a shipper.. about 5 min if your slooooooooow. Logging the firearm into your log book.. again 5 min if your sloooooooow. Presenting the paperwork to customer and having them fill their parts in... time varies depending on customer so say avg.. 15 min and that includes pre-filling out the dealer info and listing firearms getting transferred. Calling PICS.. 5-10 min on average. Cost to you the dealer $2 PICS access charge.. no matter how many things you transfer. If you sell the firearm it's $2 plus any applicable sales tax on the cost of the gun.

so let's do the math... 10 min (if your super slow) +25 min on average +$2 PICS access charge.. $25-30 is reasonable for a transfer.

Once you clear the PICS access charge its all profit. Anything higher then $30 is a joke and buyer beware.
    As a limited resource business owner, would you rather spend 25 min with someone paying you $30. Or someone looking to spend $1,000 on a gun? If I was in the business in today's booming gun business I would charge the Benjamin.

(Lehigh County)

@lager1829 You do your transfers the smart way, and schedule appointments for transfers.

This allows you to keep your "limited resources" available during high customer traffic times, and allows you some additional control of the process.
    It's not rocket science guys, when your shop gets a bad rep your business suffers regardless of boom times. These days anyone with a smart phone can call around, and there are plenty of shops that won't turn away easy $$.
    Not to mention, this whole notion that it's OK to overcharge at an extreme extent is for lack of a better term pretty scummy. Putting myself in a customers shoes, this might be the first and only chance to have a contact with a customer.. business 101 folks..

(Delaware County)

One good way to find FFLs is to go on the ATF website and download the excel spreadsheet listing all the FFLs in Pennsylvania. Many people run an FFL transfer business out of their home and don’t advertise very much, but the ATF is legally required to release every month a spreadsheet with every FFL and their name, FFL number, type of license (01,07 etc) business premises address, mailing address, and business telephone number.

In my actual experience, FFLs welcome phone calls and letters asking about what services they provide and if they can help fulfill a need you have.

You can download that spreadsheet here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/listing...arms-licensees

Also, if you are looking for some FFLs in southeastern Pennsylvania with reasonable fees, here are some I have had good experiences with:

Stars and Stripes Tactical in West Chester

Dusty Rhoads in Norwood

St Byrne in Media

Also, here’s a tip. If you’re ordering a firearm online, it’s best to have it shipped to a so called “kitchen table” / “tabletop” / “transfers only no inventory” FFL. Those FFLs have more reasonable fees and welcome transfers instead of despising them. They also tend to be more home based and be less crowded.

That’s my two cents.

(Chester County)

Doug Schofield in Downingtown and Don Eastburn in West Chester. A friend that buys a lot of used pieces swears by Steve Byrne in Media, great option for Delco peeps.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    As a limited resource business owner, would you rather spend 25 min with someone paying you $30. Or someone looking to spend $1,000 on a gun? If I was in the business in today's booming gun business I would charge the Benjamin.
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I bet a lot more places would be willing to do a transfer for $100.

If you can afford a new gun, you can afford another $100.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    @lager1829 You do your transfers the smart way, and schedule appointments for transfers.

This allows you to keep your "limited resources" available during high customer traffic times, and allows you some additional control of the process.
    It's not rocket science guys, when your shop gets a bad rep your business suffers regardless of boom times. These days anyone with a smart phone can call around, and there are plenty of shops that won't turn away easy $$.
    Not to mention, this whole notion that it's OK to overcharge at an extreme extent is for lack of a better term pretty scummy. Putting myself in a customers shoes, this might be the first and only chance to have a contact with a customer.. business 101 folks..
    Maybe the "transfers for people buying guns on the internet instead of guns from me business" is not a business they want to be in.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I bet a lot more places would be willing to do a transfer for $100.
    If you can afford a new gun, you can afford another $100.
    Ahh, no! I have home FFL's and medium size businesses doing transfers both for in-house purchases AND private party or online purchasers at 10 to 15 bucks and many more in central PA at 25 bucks.
    Think about it for G$# sake! If I buy a 550 dollar handgun using the scenario mentioned, The transfer just added over 18% to the total cost of the gun. Now add in Pennsylvania's 6% sales tax and now you're at 24+% additional costs. Your 550 dollar handgun will cost you 683 dollars out the door. Even charging 50 bucks to transfer in-store weapon purchases will dissuade potential purchases verses more reasonably priced stores. Anyone and I mean anyone who is going to charge me 100 bucks to do a transfer will never see me in person. Yes I know that many times the transfer is held up due to PICS being down or slow and I know the volume in Eastern and Northeastern PA and maybe at our northern border center and west will be busier due to the "influx" from across the DMZ but as was mentioned earlier:
    1. Do transfers for private party or online sent purchases by reservation during off-peak times.
    And if you see an uptick for being reasonable in your transfers.............
    2. Hire friendly part-time folks for your floor sales and give yourself time to do transfers at a reasonable rate.
    3. Getting people into your building equals more sales verses people driving by your business having nothing to do with you. (ammo, holsters, slings, sights, scopes, cleaning supplies, etc). People buy accessories to a firearm and many get them where they transfer.
    4. Getting to know people during the process face to face and talking to them in a friendly manner as oppose to seeing them as a PIA and treating them that way will bring them back for future sales.

If you're in this business for a quick get-rich/make boo-koo bucks ASAP or just for "something to do", you are going to fail as many have. If you build a business from the ground up, most successful LGS do transfers reasonably priced.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    Ahh, no! I have home FFL's and medium size businesses doing transfers both for in-house purchases AND private party or online purchasers at 10 to 15 bucks and many more in central PA at 25 bucks.
    Think about it for G$# sake! If I buy a 550 dollar handgun using the scenario mentioned, The transfer just added over 18% to the total cost of the gun. Now add in Pennsylvania's 6% sales tax and now you're at 24+% additional costs. Your 550 dollar handgun will cost you 683 dollars out the door. Even charging 50 bucks to transfer in-store weapon purchases will dissuade potential purchases verses more reasonably priced stores. Anyone and I mean anyone who is going to charge me 100 bucks to do a transfer will never see me in person. Yes I know that many times the transfer is held up due to PICS being down or slow and I know the volume in Eastern and Northeastern PA and maybe at our northern border center and west will be busier due to the "influx" from across the DMZ but as was mentioned earlier:
    1. Do transfers for private party or online sent purchases by reservation during off-peak times.
    2. Hire friendly part-time folks for your floor sales and give yourself time to do transfers at a reasonable rate.
    3. Getting people into your building equals more sales verses people driving by your business having nothing to do with you. (ammo, holsters, slings, sights, scopes, cleaning supplies, etc). People buy accessories to a firearm and many get them where they transfer.
    4. Getting to know people during the process face to face and talking to them in a friendly manner as oppose to seeing them as a PIA and treating them that way will bring them back for future sales.

If you're in this business for a quick get-rich/make boo-koo bucks ASAP or just for "something to do", you are going to fail as many have. If you build a business from the ground up, most successful LGS do transfers reasonably priced.
    This ^^^^^^^^

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post

Kinda the point of a $100 transfer for internet buyers. Dissuade internet buyers from coming in.

Why not just drive out to central pa and get cheap transfers out there? Oh, wait...because that adds time and money. How could you save that time and money on gas? Oh, I know, do your transfers at a slightly higher price in your local market.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Yeah OP. It's not the whole state, just your area. If you don't have the time to travel a bit (apparently you don't) you do have an issue.

Good luck Bro.
    No time to travel, no time to shoot a new gun...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast