Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Changing Out Ammo

This is probably the worst time to bring this up... But...

How often are you shooting off your current carry ammo due to age, # of times chambered, etc?

I know center-fire ammo, especially high quality duty ammunition, is incredibly robust and some body heat and humidity isn't going to render it inert anytime soon. But eventually it's a good idea to just buy fresh ammo and shoot off your old stuff.

Sound off on how often you perform this swap.

I was just at the 2-3 year mark and decided to do it. My old rounds are all in a range pile now. The rounds were chambered a maximum of 2 times though since I just rotate through a stock of rounds intended for that purpose, and I'm not unloading all too often (pretty much only FOPA or airplane travel, range or cleaning). I'd be extremely surprised if all don't perform as normal.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Changing Out Ammo

Back when 50 round boxes of HST were easy to find, I'd do it at maybe around 4 times a year after shooting through what was in the magazine at the range for practice.

Not so much right now. I don't really clear and load my carry ammo that much, so setback isn't much a concern.

Not enough, once a year. The last time I had a hang fire on the first round.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Not enough, once a year. The last time I had a hang fire on the first round.
    That's surprising to me, and makes me glad I did it today.

(Allegheny County)

During my LEO days, we would shoot/rotate our duty ammo 2x each year. We qualified 4x a year, two of the quals where shot with duty ammo, then replaced with fresh ammo.

Now, I shoot my carry ammo each year for my LEOSA Retired Officer qual. I run my wife through the course each year shooting her carry ammo, then she loads up with new ammo.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Back when 50 round boxes of HST were easy to find, I'd do it at maybe around 4 times a year after shooting through what was in the magazine at the range for practice.

Not so much right now. I don't really clear and load my carry ammo that much, so setback isn't much a concern.
    Same here. I don't routinely clear my carry guns and if I do I unload the whole mag and put the formerly top round on the bottom of the mag.

So yeah not very often. Probably haven't this whole year due to the ammo situation and not going to range due to work just crushing me.
    F*#K THE ATF

All my carry ammo is a few years old at least. I keep them stored in cases with silica. I have never had one not go off. Ammo can last indefinitely if you store it right.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Allegheny County)

I've recently switched from carrying "expensive" self-defense ammo to carrying standard round nose jacketed. There has been some discussions about the detriments of not practicing regularly with your carry ammo. Most people find the specialty carry ammo to be to "precious" to practice with on a regular basis (especially now-a-days). My carry ammo gets rotated "naturally" every time I practice.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    All my carry ammo is a few years old at least. I keep them stored in cases with silica. I have never had one not go off. Ammo can last indefinitely if you store it right.
    For sure, but I meant the ammo literally loaded in your carry guns and spare mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I've recently switched from carrying "expensive" self-defense ammo to carrying standard round nose jacketed. There has been some discussions about the detriments of not practicing regularly with your carry ammo. Most people find the specialty carry ammo to be to "precious" to practice with on a regular basis (especially now-a-days). My carry ammo gets rotated "naturally" every time I practice.
    You mean FMJ or JHP?

(Butler County)

Once upon a time I had a Glock 17 loaded on top of the cabinet beside my back door. Pre grandchildren. It was there for 10-15 yrs .covered with a paper towel. Kids starting getting older and I had to move it. Took it out and shot it with no problems. 147gr. Fed. hydrashoks sitting in a gun for over 10 years and everything worked fine. I even hit the target. So my answer is every 10 or 15 years. Ammo is good for an awful long time. Decades. I have WWII ammo that still goes bang.
    Lint and dust are the problem for long term carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast