Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Changing Out Ammo

Before these current times.
    I would regularly replace my carry ammo every quarter. OR whenever something unusual happened; like getting caught in a rain storm while out on a motorcycle ride.
    Which in reality meant I was replacing my carry ammo as much as every 6 weeks or so.

But now. I've only swapped out my carry ammo twice this year.
    I've only got about 300 rounds of self-defense (aka hollow points) remaining.

So if prices and availability do not get back to somewhat normal before I use all that.
    Then I may have to switch to carrying target ammo.
    --ET

Not really. Like military ammo , today's top-shelf SD ammo is practically hermetically sealed. Lacquer sealed primer and some black tar-pitch looking stuff in the case mouth. I've carried the same ammo for years , and never had a misfire.
    Only malfunction I ever had was a .380 that didn't cycle fully because there was verdigris on the brass case of the chambered round! I inadvertently went swimming with it and didn't properly clean/dry it out properly. Now I only carry ammo with nickel-plated cases!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

I don't worry about old ammo as long as I can get to the range at least two or three times a year. The last time I bought ammo was 2018, a thousand rounds of .357 for $376. I still have around 1135 rounds. I keep some of them in speed loaders, seven rounds in the revolver and the rest in plastic containers in a trunk in my garage.

(Franklin County)

Up until recently I would go to the range every couple of months just to shoot my carry guns the way they are, dust, dirt, pocket lent, whatever, just so I know they will function if needed. This also cycled my carry ammo.
    This year has been a little different, I think it was june or July when I went to the range last.
    That said, my carry ammo usually sits on the shelf for a couple of years before being carried. Some of my range ammo may be as old as 8 or 9 years.
    The Hostler

(Mercer County)

I don't worry about the age of my ammunition. I have magazines of 45 acp that I loaded in 1970 and have no worries of about it functioning.
    All my EDC firearms are 1911 pattern pistol and most of not all my extra magazines have been loaded prior to 2000 they are .45 acp. 38 super, and 10mm.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Up until recently I would go to the range every couple of months just to shoot my carry guns the way they are, dust, dirt, pocket lent, whatever, just so I know they will function if needed. This also cycled my carry ammo.
    This year has been a little different, I think it was june or July when I went to the range last.
    That said, my carry ammo usually sits on the shelf for a couple of years before being carried. Some of my range ammo may be as old as 8 or 9 years.
    Not too long ago , I burned thru a large coffee can of USGI .45 ammo headstamped RA 41 that someone gave me. Probably around 250rds. Yep , made by Remington Arms in 1941. Still have a few , copper primers.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I will shoot my carry gun ammo once a year...I have 4 extra mags filled so I will just rotate one of those in.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I've recently switched from carrying "expensive" self-defense ammo to carrying standard round nose jacketed. There has been some discussions about the detriments of not practicing regularly with your carry ammo. Most people find the specialty carry ammo to be to "precious" to practice with on a regular basis (especially now-a-days). My carry ammo gets rotated "naturally" every time I practice.
    different ammo for different results; with standard FMJ, over penetration might be a concern there... depending on what you are carrying, for example I will carry standard FMJ in my 32ACP but probably not my 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    different ammo for different results; with standard FMJ, over penetration might be a concern there... depending on what you are carrying, for example I will carry standard FMJ in my 32ACP but probably not my 9mm
    I don't believe over penetration is ever a problem with 9mm. Read the FBI data. People need to worry about their misses.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This is probably the worst time to bring this up... But...

How often are you shooting off your current carry ammo due to age, # of times chambered, etc?

Once a year. I'm starting to reconsider that idea from what I've seen here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast