Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Henry X Model Polymer Lever Guns

Unless you reload there's no ammo for the 357 model. There is hope though the President of Federal ammunition just said they will begin selling the ammo they have stored in their secret warehouses.We're going to be under a full frontal attack soon enough and prices for firearms are the lowest they're going to be for years to come so get what you can now. Henry makes a good quality gun and after years of people complaining about the quality of Remlins Henry has pretty much taken over the lever action market because of their quality even if people didn't like the front loading of the magazine tube.

Marlin has always been one up on the lever actions until they sold out to Freedom Group. Winchester top eject made it difficult to mount a scope, Savage stop producing the model 99, the knock offs like Rossi and Uberti had supply and quality issues. Until Henry made the side gate loading they pretty much limited their sales to newer shooters but that was their business model. I wouldn't have anything to do with Henry at first because they are based in New Jersey but now they have moved production out of that communist zone. I like their .22lr offerings and that's likely going to be my next purchase. I already have a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 so the center fire is covered for me.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

Ruger bought Marlin, so I will wait and see. I just can't be impressed by a NEW lever action that at a glance looks exactly like a Marlin. The rimfires? A basic mechanism with a cheap cover over the top. I'll keep my Model 39 Marlin. If I want cheap but shoots good, I'll pull out my Ithaca M-49.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Ruger bought Marlin, so I will wait and see. I just can't be impressed by a NEW lever action that at a glance looks exactly like a Marlin. The rimfires? A basic mechanism with a cheap cover over the top. I'll keep my Model 39 Marlin. If I want cheap but shoots good, I'll pull out my Ithaca M-49.
    LOL
    The grip shape is different
    The loop is different
    The fore end is different
    The barrel is different
    The tube is different

But yeah, other than that, it looks JUST like a Marlin.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Why the hell did they make it so you have to pull that thing the entire way out of the tube to load?
    All the tube fed rifles I'm familiar with have a cutout in that "sleeve" so that you only need to pull it out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way out to start dropping rounds into the tube.

I always hated that Henry didn't have a side loading gate, but admit that having BOTH options for loading seems like a plus.

I do wish they had made two models - one with a "normal" barrel and one with a threaded muzzle.
    That tacky looking knurled thread protector looks like ASS on an otherwise decent rifle.
    I can't imagine the majority of buyers are adding suppressors - why make the rest of us have such a stupid assed, shitty-looking "cap" on the end of the barrel for no good reason?

That's really my only gripe about this gun. The rest of it seems well thought out and practical. (That size of the loop was a good move)
    You don't have to remove the tube all the way. There's a cutout and enough room past said cutout for the loading tube to stay in the magazine tube. Most people take it out completely, however. Also, I made loading tubes for my Big Boy Steel that allow me to load the entire magazine at once if I remove the loading tube. Just have to make sure the cutout is facing up so nothing falls out when loading.

The threaded barrel is for the tactically minded. It's only on the X model as of right now. You can get all of the Big Boy models with a side gate now, without the threaded barrel and black plastic furniture. I actually want a Big Boy Steel in .357 with the side gate AND a threaded barrel, but with walnut furniture and color case hardening. I would trade or sell my Big Boy Steel in .357 in a heartbeat for one.

While HENRY is a notable MFG. I would wait on TAURUS to come out with their clone version probably at half the price !

(Carbon County)

The receiver on a "High pressure" Henry looks just like a Marlin. Even Marlin models vary in appearance. They copied the name, why not the parts? The way they tried to infer their rifle had ties to the original Henry when they started out really set me against them.

Does anyone make a youth size stock for the model x?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    The receiver on a "High pressure" Henry looks just like a Marlin. Even Marlin models vary in appearance. They copied the name, why not the parts? The way they tried to infer their rifle had ties to the original Henry when they started out really set me against them.
    I have a few REAL Marlins. One in .45-70 and .30-30. I also have a few Henry's. One frontier model .22 with the octagon barrel and a .44 magnum Big Boy with an albeit "chemical" CCH receiver. The fit and finish on the Henry rifles are just as good if not better than the Marlins. The wood on both of the Henrys are SUPERIOR to the Marlins. They ALL take game equally well. I would go ahead and call it a tie in my book. I like the company and their values. I will continue to consider Henry for future needs.

(Bucks County)

The answer to the top-ejecting Winchester was an offset mount. It was off center to the left enough (for right-handers) to allow deflected ejection. The trick was to let the bullet hit the one inch to the right of the poa. Trying to "center" poi at any range was a mistake. It would always produce cross-over at a different range.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12