Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Winchester M1 CMP Field Grades

I don't have a Winchester M1 Garand. The CMP doesn't have them all too often, so I'm wondering if I should grab a field grade for $850. (I'd also have to do a $30 CMP membership to WCMG since my club isn't affiliated, but no harm there supporting the business).

I feel like there's a slight risk for a field grade for $850 via mail order, like I won't be happy with the one I receive based on condition. I don't care too much about parts manufacturers lining up, more concerned about how clean it is and barrel numbers to a lesser extent. A service grade for $750 is less of a risk in my opinion for not being happy since it's less money and a higher grade. One obvious answer is to make the drive to Ohio, but I don't think I have the appetite for that.

Anyway just looking for thoughts, akin to asking a bunch of alcoholics if they think I should drink the beer in front of me...

The one upside is, and I've never understood the secondary market for Garands, you can sell pretty much any rifle for hundreds more than one from the CMP. So worse comes to worse if I wasn't happy, I'd at least make my money back.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Winchester M1 CMP Field Grades

Following

(Elk County)

IMO, you pay for the name. Personally, I do not own a Winchester M1 Rifle because the fit and finish are below that of Springfield and H&R, especially, and even most IH M1s are better put together. Winchester, being a commercial contractor, built their M1 Rifles to print and spec. Period. If a surface didn't have a finish callout, they left it as machined to save time and cost. They used prints and specs to advantage. H&R was commercial, but they took a bit more pride in their product.

If you must have a Winchester, then buy strictly on the TE and MW numbers, regardless of CMP grade. TE 4 or less, MW 2 or less in order to be a reasonably accurate shooter. Don't compromise.

However, many Winchester collectors don't care to shoot them. I know of two collectors who had "correct" but well-worn barrels installed on their Winchester M1s to make them "correct as issued". The MW on one of them swallowed the gauge, and there was no visible rifling remaining at the muzzle. I bought the H&R barrel that was taken off; its MW was right at zero. His M1 might be valuable to him as being "correct" but it's a worthless POS as a shooter.

I've said that the most avid Winchester collector would buy used Winchester embossed toilet paper if it were available.

Finally, move FAST, because CMP sells out of Winchesters and IHs quickly. As in hours, not days.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Most of the rifles being sold now are those Philippine rifles that were stored in very poor conditions. All have been rebuilt/refinished/reparkerized. Many have been rebarreled and restocked. Some receivers/parts may still show deep pitting. See the descriptions of the various grades. No matter what you order , the rifle will be safe and functional.

Any Winchester or other make with original parts or finish that are even remotely in condition that would be of interest to collectors would have been put on the CMP auction.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Butler County)

Buy one with a good barrel for shooting. You can make it "correct" if you want to, but you gotta start with a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Buy one with a good barrel for shooting. You can make it "correct" if you want to, but you gotta start with a receiver.
    Winchester M1 parts also command collector prices.

I have two winchester garands. one is all winchester, and the other is a cmp winchester I got last year for around 750.00

(Bucks County)

With the CMP a "Winchester" only means it has a Winchester receiver and I don't think a receiver only is worth that premium. But if you luck out and get a Winchester barrel too it would be OK. Like someone else mentioned Win parts have a huge premium and the days of over where it would make sense to make a total mixmaster "correct".

But you pay your money and take your chances......

IIRC , Winchester made only about half a million Garands out of a total production of over 6.5 million.

But all Winchester M1's were made during WWII and many , if not most saw action.

(Northampton County)

If you really want a Winchester just get one of the field grades from the CMP if you can. Like abner13 said it will be functional and safe. Eventually the CMP will run out of M1*s and you*ll have to get it from a private party.

Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast