Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Share your safe hacks!

I did the shelf thing too.
    In the one in the link above I used an old swivel TV shelf meant for having a VCR under the small television.
    I made a shelf for another safe too.
    Mainly because all my guns are carbines and the barrels didn't reach the barrel rests!

For lighting, I use those $4 "light switch" LED lights.
    The magnets let me put them where I want them.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I did the shelf thing too.
    In the one in the link above I used an old swivel TV shelf meant for having a VCR under the small television.
    I made a shelf for another safe too.
    Mainly because all my guns are carbines and the barrels didn't reach the barrel rests!

For lighting, I use those $4 "light switch" LED lights.
    The magnets let me put them where I want them.
    Here's how I solved the carbine length issue, and got a little extra storage space at the same time. I built these shelves with 1X4 pine, and installed dowel rods to hold the guns in place. You can also see one of the three LED puck lights. There's a switch just inside the door.

(Berks County)

You all are way better than me. I pit strip leds in with a motion sensor. Whoopee..
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Butler County)

lol damn this thread. So I've always been worried about the combo lock on my safe and not having a backup in case something happens to the electronics. So I go looking for the one Justin posted above, not being sold. Contact the company: "It's temporarily discontinued, there is a supply issue with a critical component of this model". *sigh*

Now that I know this exists, I'm hellbent on finding one. Anyone know of a replacement keypad that also has a mechanical dial?
    -Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    lol damn this thread. So I've always been worried about the combo lock on my safe and not having a backup in case something happens to the electronics. So I go looking for the one Justin posted above, not being sold. Contact the company: "It's temporarily discontinued, there is a supply issue with a critical component of this model". *sigh*

Now that I know this exists, I'm hellbent on finding one. Anyone know of a replacement keypad that also has a mechanical dial?
    An alternative to the one Justin has - https://www.bankssafeco.com/product/...ity-safe-lock/

I believe Cannon uses or used to use these on some of their safes.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't customize my safe - but I did customize the concrete room it is in (:

I'll leave out the details - but it was the first room in the house I worked on when I moved in. For a while the "bunker" was the nicest room in the house. The whole room is concrete, and it is protected by a commercial steel door with two deadlocks. You have to get through all that before you even KNOW there is a 7ga steel safe in there - let alone break into it.

Thinking about it - I guess I did customize the safe because I removed all the built-in shelving from it except for the very top shelf. Other than that, it's all open inside.

Safe is empty though - all contents were lost in a boating accident.

(Bucks County)

A bit of a perhaps worthless hack. My wife bought me a number of dish drying mats at the dollar store. They're about the size of a placemat, are black in color, and slightly padded. I lined the shelves in my safe with these, as well as the floor. On the floor, it helps stop rifles from sliding. On the other shelves, they ad padding and help keep the shelves clean of oil, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12