Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Share your safe hacks!

I would really enjoy seeing how creative yinz get in customizing your safes. Let's see some hacks!

Here's a little one I just did tonight. My S&W 629 is too big for my pistol rack (which is full anyway). I realized that I had some dead space above the long guns, since I have more carbines than long rifles. All I had to do was drill and tap a shelf bracket, and screw an aluminum finger to it. Now the 629 has its own special spot to hang.

Default Re: Share your safe hacks!

Does changing the lock and lock plate myself count? From another thread,

I mentioned in another thread that I was having my safe guy upgrade the lock that came on my safe..., a Sargent and Greenleaf D-Drive 2007 series electronic lock. However, after I received the box today, I found the following installation video and decided to do it myself. It was just as easy as the video showed, and if you can use basic hand tools, you can change the lock on your safe as well.

Like many of you, I don't want to be locked out of my safe due to an electronic lock failure..., but I also liked the quick convenience of the electronic lock. That's why I chose the lock that I did..., it has the electronic key pad, but also a mechanical dial as back up in case the electronics fails. It is a little spendy, and it was a little extra for the black chrome to match the rest of my hardware, but considering the value of the contents and the price of the safe, I felt that it was a worthwhile investment.

http://www.securamsys.com/#!safelogic-xtreme/c705

They have even more "modern" versions with bluetooth!

Anyway, I've been playing with it and I couldn't be happier. Time will tell how it holds up, but overall, it is a solid piece and of higher quality than the S&G, IMO.

So if you want the best of both worlds, I can say that I recommend this lock..., just be sure that it will work with your safe. For most Liberty type safes, it will.

Here it is on my safe..., it is bigger than the S&G, but it didn't cover the "Made in USA" that's painted on the safe.

And when you pull up the dial lock, it's illuminated by a little LED. Nice touch.

Here's the installation video.

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

You should dip those two pieces in Tool Dip so you don't risk scratching it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Does changing the lock and lock plate myself count? From another thread,

I mentioned in another thread that I was having my safe guy upgrade the lock that came on my safe..., a Sargent and Greenleaf D-Drive 2007 series electronic lock. However, after I received the box today, I found the following installation video and decided to do it myself. It was just as easy as the video showed, and if you can use basic hand tools, you can change the lock on your safe as well.

[...]
    Today? LOL I timed this thread pretty well.

Nice lock!

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You should dip those two pieces in Tool Dip so you don't risk scratching it.
    Yep. Now that I know it works, I'll probably countersink the screw head and put some cloth tape on the brackets and the tracks.

Nah I posted that a few years ago.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

See here.
    (door organizer in a steel cabinet)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    See here.
    (door organizer in a steel cabinet)
    That's pretty cool that you were able to repurpose random parts from a drug store.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't customize my safe - but I did customize the concrete room it is in (:

I'll leave out the details - but it was the first room in the house I worked on when I moved in. For a while the "bunker" was the nicest room in the house. The whole room is concrete, and it is protected by a commercial steel door with two deadlocks. You have to get through all that before you even KNOW there is a 7ga steel safe in there - let alone break into it.

Thinking about it - I guess I did customize the safe because I removed all the built-in shelving from it except for the very top shelf. Other than that, it's all open inside.

Safe is empty though - all contents were lost in a boating accident.

(Bucks County)

A bit of a perhaps worthless hack. My wife bought me a number of dish drying mats at the dollar store. They're about the size of a placemat, are black in color, and slightly padded. I lined the shelves in my safe with these, as well as the floor. On the floor, it helps stop rifles from sliding. On the other shelves, they ad padding and help keep the shelves clean of oil, etc.